cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going abroad for 3 months

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm planning on going to the States for 3 months at the beginning of January 2013, and I'm planning on taking my phone with me (iPhone 4S). I am currently on a contract with o2, which allows me unlimited texts etc. I know the rates are much different whilst abroad.

But was just wondering if it would be worth me getting a US sim card whilst away, so I can communicate with family living in the States and family back here in the UK.

Any advice would be great as I am unsure on what I should do!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I think it would be prudent to do a search to see what American sims give cheap international calling to England.

You might find its considerably cheaper to use an American sim to call England and contact relatives in the states than it would be to use a O2 sim for both.( in fact I'd bet money it would be)

Is your phone unlocked?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 5

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

There are quite a few sims that you buy before you go to the states and Im affraid they are alot cheaper that o2 rates.

Sorry o2Smiley Embarassed

One sim you get a US number and UK number allocated at the same time, so your family in the us can use one and family in the uk can use the uk one.  Same phone, 1 sim.

I cant tell you what they are called due to advertising etc, but they can be found by google.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Besides getting a US Sim, WiFi and Voice over IP services will be your friends.

If you don't have them already, services such as O2's TU Me, Skype, WhatsApp, Viber and the likes will give you free (providing you're on WiFi and your not paying for the WiFi access slight_smile ) Voice, text and picture message services, so get them installed before you leave slight_smile

Hope this helps!!

JM

Message 4 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I would also advise you to switch voicemail off before you go if you do take your O2 sim with you.

Message 5 of 5