Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update does not work on mobile data

Loblyk
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I got a SIM only deal that has 20GB of data, I barely use it. However, the other day whilst I was around town I got a notification of a firmware update for my phone, an android S22 Ultra SIM free with no association to any network. I tried to download the firmware but I could not. The phone says that I should wait for a wifi connection.

Is this a restriction from O2? Has anyone had this problem with downloading firmware?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36553 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

It could be the manufacturer, as O2 stopped putting custom firmware on phones sold by them back in 2018 or thereabouts, @2btb 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s22-series/samsung-galaxy-s-ultra-gt-software-updates-not...

So check the Samsung boards to seek a workaround, if any.

Good luck!

Message 11 of 14

Loblyk
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@2btb 

No, I have not got anywhere with O2. Their customer support is appalling. They keep blaming Samsung. The situation is simple, my phone a S22 Ultra with an EE SIM cards downloads the firmware within seconds. As soon as the O2 SIM is inserted all hell breaks loose.

The level of knowledge from their customer support is none. They are pretty much useless. Beware of their recommendation, which will make you reset your network settings and mess your phone and will remain without a solution.

Calling O2’s customer support is literally a waste of time. I will definitely change network at the end of my contract. So far dealing with O2 has been torturous. My O2 keeps showing the wrong date of birth even though O2 tells me that they have the right one on records.

I got a 20GB plan which I can barely use. Their mobile data speed is painfully slow, whether using 4G or 5G, in the city centre, I am not referring to some isolated location in a rural area.

Their integration with wearable is as appalling. The smart watch can only receive/make calls if the phone is connected to the network, which defeats the whole purpose of a second device. If you phone ran out battery, it is on plane mode or any reason for it not to be connected to the network, the watch won’t work.

Indeed, they should allow us to use our data as we see it fit. What is the point of having a large data plan if it cannot be used.

Message 12 of 14

Loblyk
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

It is not a manufacturer issue, all works as it is meant to do with an EE SIM card. If it were a manufacturer issue, it would not work with any SIM card.

Message 13 of 14

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36553 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

Reading support forums, T-Mobile allows updates to S22 Ultra over mobile data, AT&T does not.

And your experience is EE in the UK allows the update to proceed on their mobile data network.

Have you tried it on O2's 4G or 3G rather than 5G, @Loblyk?

Or this:

Go to Settings >>

Search for "Wifi" in the settings search bar >> tap on wifi

Tap on advanced settings then toggle on  "Switch to mobile data automatically" (use mobile data when wi-fi has no internet access.)

Enable this option.

Once enabled, swipe down from the top of the phone and turn off wifi and download the update. 

Failing that, it looks as if O2 fall into the AT&T camp wrt to ota updates of S22 Ultra 5G phones - do it on WiFi only, not over the cellular network using mobile data.

Not much else to do, I guess 🤷

Message 14 of 14