Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excess data usage

Kazzy33
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is anyone else experiencing excess usage of data overnight. Every month im running out of data and i have 3gb. My average usage is 1.2. O2 say things are happening at around midnight but can't tell me what!!! I'm asleep then. Advice was turn off mobile data at home!!!  But why should I??  When I'm on WiFi it shouldn't use mobile data!!!! Any advice???

Karen

Message 1 of 25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

Midnight is when O2 update their systems so the entire days data use is rolled up and applied to your account then. It's not when it's being used.

Look in your phone settings to see which apps are using the most data and try to reduce that usage when not on wifi.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

Midnight is when O2 update their systems so the entire days data use is rolled up and applied to your account then. It's not when it's being used.

Look in your phone settings to see which apps are using the most data and try to reduce that usage when not on wifi.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Kazzy33 data updates around midnight every day so depending on what you’ve used during the day it will be rounded up then. If you are using an iPhone then there is a known data issue on O2 with iPhones. Good advice to turn the mobile data off. Although if you’re WiFi cuts out or turned off then data will cut in. Look to see what apps are using the most data. It could be a rogue app you have  or Facebook is a known data hog

Message 3 of 25

Kazzy33
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sorry how do I find out what data the apps are using??
Message 4 of 25

Kazzy33
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Where do I find that info in settings??
Message 5 of 25

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
What phone do you have @Kazzy33 ?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 25

Kazzy33
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
iPhone 6s
Message 7 of 25

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Settings >Mobile data and scroll down to see app usage since last reset.
At the bottom of the page you can reset everything to zero so you can track daily or weekly use etc.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 25

Kazzy33
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks but can't see anything that says app usage. But can see the reset option!!!
Message 9 of 25

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

All your apps with usage should be listed on that page.

Image result for iphone app usage

If you move the toggle you can stop those apps from using mobile data so they only work on wifi.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 25