Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Upgrade to Sim Only

Spud-Lord
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Pay Monthly contract currently active but My O2 says that I can upgrade early for free.

I am not looking for a new phone, I am looking to go Sim Only but I don't want to buy a Sim Only Contract and end up paying for two contracts at the same time

My Device Plan says the device has been settled so how would I go about changing to be Sim Only?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

O2Sean
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 148 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

Seems like you have been offered a "Speed to Refresh". It's usually offered to carphone warehouse customers. It means we will buy you out of your carphone contract essentially and let you upgrade to an O2 refresh contract at no extra cost from today.

Alternatively if you do not take this offer then you just continue paying your current contract until it  expires 

signature

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

O2Sean
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 148 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

Hi @Spud-Lord ,

If your device plan is fully paid then you are out of contract. so you can just go ahead and upgrade to a sim only. Its the same account, number , sim card etc as you have now. It would just be pro rota billing. That means if your billing date was the 30th of every month and you upgraded today; you would pay 2 days of your old airtime, and 28 days of your new sim only airtime. so you would not have 2 contracts running at the same time. 

signature
Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Spud-Lord 

Online just go into the shop https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=phone&contractLength=P12M  You have a choice of 30 days 12 months or 18 months

Via My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 if the option to upgrade is showing, then you choose that option to UPGRADE to sim only.

That will cancel your current contract.

You wont need to change sim, you will keep the same number etc.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

Spud-Lord
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It is an early upgrade and the terms say that they will pay off the rest of my contract if I upgrade to a new O2 Refresh Contract with a new phone and SIM.

There is no option to upgrade to SIM Only

Message 4 of 7

Spud-Lord
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My Airtime Contract isn't actually over yet, it doesn't end until December this year. But it just says that I can upgrade early and that my device plan is settled. I am still paying for my Airtime

Message 5 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The speed to refresh only applies if taking a new phone contract, otherwise you can just change your tariff.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

O2Sean
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 148 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

Seems like you have been offered a "Speed to Refresh". It's usually offered to carphone warehouse customers. It means we will buy you out of your carphone contract essentially and let you upgrade to an O2 refresh contract at no extra cost from today.

Alternatively if you do not take this offer then you just continue paying your current contract until it  expires 

signature
Message 7 of 7