Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESIM pack - staff at Westfield Branch giving out wrong infos

Fabyon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m tired and disappointed that 02 staff at Westfield ( Ariel Way ) are giving out the wrong information trying to fob off people.

I was already using an eSIM on my iPhone SE but upgraded it to an iPhone 11 ( both phones are 4G  only ).

Knowing that I needed a new eSIM pack so I could sim swap I’ve sent my carer to that branch to get a new pack: instruction was ‘eSIM pack pay monthly 4G’. Staff managed to give him the wrong one ( 5G ) so he volunteered again to go back to the same branch a few days later.

Apparently they were short with him demanding that I should be the one going to the store ( ironically they had no qualms giving him the eSIM pack the first time around ) then proceeded to belittling him saying that the eSIM 5G pack would work in a 4G phone. So they told him to keep the eSIM pack he got from them and that was it.

I ended up phoning customer service who told me that indeed I was right and a 5G eSIM would cause problems and sent me a 4G eSIM. They weren’t impressed by my local 02 branch performance though. 

I’ll probably receive the eSIM pack next Monday so can’t use my new phone until then …

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37497 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1706 Solutions

Increasing reports of sub-par performance of some staff at some O2 Shops, @Fabyon - I'll tag in the Forum admin @Martin-O2 who can feed this back to the relevant O2 store. He may ask you for further info via PM (envelope icon top right on PC/desktop, or 'Messages' menu when you click on your avatar at top right on mobile). 

I hope your new Esim pick arrives as expected, and that your transfer works as planned.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37497 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1706 Solutions

Increasing reports of sub-par performance of some staff at some O2 Shops, @Fabyon - I'll tag in the Forum admin @Martin-O2 who can feed this back to the relevant O2 store. He may ask you for further info via PM (envelope icon top right on PC/desktop, or 'Messages' menu when you click on your avatar at top right on mobile). 

I hope your new Esim pick arrives as expected, and that your transfer works as planned.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124717 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7532 Solutions

What hope is there when store staff are unaware of the functionality of e-sims?

Of course a NORMAL 5G sim will work in a 4G phone and I think this is the limit of the knowledge of this particular store @Fabyon 

Totally awful that they felt the need to belittle your carer. Heads should roll in my opinion!

Edited to add link which they should read. https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/esim 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10895 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3121 Solutions

Sorry to say the Store gave you the correct information, a 5G Esim will work in a 4G phone, so not sure what customer services are sending out as ALL eSims are 5G and work in all phones, I have 1 personally in an iPhone SE from o2 and 1from VM in my Communicator, and both are 5G eSims.. 

I also have 100 eSim 4G devices again running on 5G esims at work, as that is all o2 provide to enterprise customers..

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 124717 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7532 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

Not according to the link I posted

Do O2 esims support 5G? 

Yes, you can request a 4G or 5G esim pack. To use 5G, you’ll need to be using a 5G and esim capable device, and may need to change your tariff.

Most dual sim 5G phones will only allow you to use one 5G connection, with the other connection being limited to 4G, regardless of whether an esim or physical sim is being used.

The op only has a 4G capable device.

Edited spelling.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10895 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3121 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

The only bit on that link that is correct is the bit about dual sim 5G handsets only allowing one 5G connection on the handset, and the other been limited to 4G. 

I think o2 need to update the website, as I have been told and can only get 5G esims, 4G esims have been phased out (by Telefonica themselves).

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 124717 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7532 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

IF the website, OP and CS who the op rang, are all WRONG, then we have a problem.

For all that there is absolutely no need for O2 store staff to belittle and ridicule the OP's carer.

Disgusting behaviour which should not be tolerated.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

Fabyon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What I find confusing is that even Sky (O2) mentions that for their physical sims you shouldn’t enable the 5G if your phone is 4G. 

Although technically minded what chance people have if O2 gives out contradictory infos. Thank you all for your feedbacks. I’ll hold on unto my 5G eSIM pack until I upgrade to a 5G phone. 

Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124717 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7532 Solutions

Interesting info about Sky @Fabyon. Yes the info you were given was contradictory, although O2's info via their website on e-sims is quite clear and matches your understanding of the issue.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum x.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

Fabyon
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you slight_smile

Message 10 of 11