cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodgy phone? New one on a new tarriff?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically, I got a new contract in October along with a Galaxy S2. However, ever since then I've had trouble with the phone (random crashes to an inressponsive state) and nothing I have tried will fix it. 

In fact, I'm pretty sure some of the stuff I tried will have broken any kind of warranty on the device (unless I roll it all back).

In any case, my question is - if I upgrade my tarriff to a higher one - as I understand is possible midway through a contract - can I still get a new phone? I see you can get an S3 Mini for £26 a month for £20 up front, and I do rather fancy it. Is that possible?

Or should I try to get support for my device somehow? It just seems fundamentally broken.

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You might be able to have the phone repaired.

Depends on what tarif you have really. Some contracts allow you to upgrade your tariff(as in minutes/data/sms) but not the phone at a set period others will let you upgrade the phone half way through.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You might be able to have the phone repaired.

Depends on what tarif you have really. Some contracts allow you to upgrade your tariff(as in minutes/data/sms) but not the phone at a set period others will let you upgrade the phone half way through.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I went into the store before and asked about it. Was told to try removing apps to see if one of those was causing it. Running fresh didn't help. Also reckon I may have voided the warranty now in any case due to my meddling. I'll pop into the store when I get a chance.

Message 3 of 21

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

If its only software meddling then blanking it and starting afresh should be fine(doubt they'll delve too far into it to get out of paying)

No hardware meddling right?:/

it does sound software related however some hardware faults could give a non responsive display. 

Do you know which contract your on?

Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not a display issue as such really - rather the phone getting into an unresponsive state when idle. It's known as the 'sleep of death' issue on other forums where I've looked into troubleshooting (wiping Dalvik cache, clearing cache partition and fixing permissions in recovery - all the standard stuff). Flashing other ROMs and system Kernels hasn't helped as I hoped, but this is what I'm pretty sure would void my warranty.

Currently on a £21.50 per month 24 month contract. Not sure of the particulars.

Message 5 of 21

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Simplicity contract?

Arrgh yes I think you could be right there. Well flash back to the normal one and hope they don't pick up on it(they don't tend to be the brightest sparks:))
Message 6 of 21

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The thing is, Android uses a counter which records how many times a firmware has been changed. As long as you stick to approved firmware you should be fine. Another thing to try is, Fix Permissions which somehow magically fixes stuff like all the application indices and superuser account thingymabobs..

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 21

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I didn't know that. Thanks anticipated. I presume that the counter could be changed?
Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well the problem was happening on the firmware that came with the device - which is why I reflashed in the first place.

So it looks like I'll need to find a copy of the o2 firmware some place, along with a way to reset the firmware (I know this one's possible at least)

Unless I can upgrade my contract and get a new phone. Don't mind paying a bit extra each month.

In fact, I could probably cover it by recycling my current S2 handset.
Message 9 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144505 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
Get a jig off ebay... It will reset the counter then flash standard O2 f/w off sammobile with odin and no one will ever know slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 21