cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming charges for outside the EU when in fact I was in the EU with receipts to proove it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 have decided to charge me over £75 for my bill this month when normally I would pay £36. Apparently I have been in Norway!? which is outside of the EU. So I have been charged £20 of data roaming outside of the EU when in fact I was in France and Belgium which is very much part of the EU.

When queried with O2 - they tell me it's because I have been in Norway - I have never been to Norway in my life. When I explained this this I was told I was in Norway and the charges are correct.

I am very angry about this as my friend that travelled with me is on O2 and she didn't incur any charges at all.

I received texts from O2 saying:

"Relax in Europe with O2 travel. You'll never pay more than £1.99 per day for data. Check your email, Facebook, Twitter and BBC News. Now you can keep your data switched on"

O2 are refusing to refund me the incorrect charges as they deem them to be correct...

Not acceptable.

I am waiting to hear back but am told it will take 5 days?

Is this good customer service? NO!

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know op said where he was but not how they were traveling, just a thought. why else would they not be charged for o2 travel, unless used more than the 25mb of data per day for £1.99 and had the service removed and been charged standard rate.

Message 21 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was travelling between Belgium and France at the time of the charges @ 17.44pm I was on my way to Calais ferry port but didn't ship until 20.00pm
Message 22 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could it be that the usage was from the ship? sometimes the data usage on the bill does not match up accurately with the time it was actually used..
Message 23 of 30

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The fact that it shows norway and not any ship systems identifier rule out any ship related issues.

This has to be a network error and when the op hears back from o2 after the 5 days to investigate I hope they post back the resolution.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 24 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

If they hear back you mean

Message 25 of 30

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Not sure if this will help.

But recently at Dover, The phone does pick up the Ships network and these come up with Numbers and not names.

However they are registered to Norway and charge at out side EU costs, which I have to admit i was sent a sms advising me of this.

Also the times on my bill didnt corresponce to the time i used the service, but i still used the service so I knew i had to pay. I did however remeber to Turn the data of whilst on the ship so I didnt get a massive bill and soon as i arrived in France or back in the Uk on return, I switched Data back on. (Once i knew it with o2-uk or Orange fr)

So this now may answer the question to the bill.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Review-O2-Travel/td-p/268082

This is my update when I used O2 Travel and may help.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 26 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

The charges, even for incoming calls never mind outgoing calls and data, on cross-channel ferries is horrendous.

I always make sure my phone is turned off to avoid these problems.

Message 27 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I didn't hear back from 02 so I thought I would phone and chase. I got through to Kathy in Billing (on 202) who advised that my case had been looked into and that I have been refused a credit but there was no justification - just that "the bill was correct".

I explained to Kathy what had happened and just pointed out that I was on the phone in France when billed for Data in Norway. Kathy agreed that there was an error just by scanning over my data so see that at the same time I was also using data in France. Kathy spoke to a senior manager who also agreed that there was an error with my bill and as some of you have stated Norway is classed as EU wheather I was there or not!

Kathy also looked in to my online chat and said it should have been dealt with on othe spot as anyone who has a bit of common sence could have looked in to it and seen the error, they just didn't bother!

Thanks to Kathy, I am now receiving a full refund back on to my account in 5 days!

TAHNK YOU KATHY!

Message 28 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Nice to see common sense prevailing slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Good result, shame something so obviously wrong wasn't dealt with on the first call.

Message 30 of 30