Did you mean: 

Data in USA - does it work now?

Susan6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I was wondering if anyone had used their o2 phone in the USA recently? I was last there around 2 years ago and did not have much of a signal at all for using data. I got charged £6 per day for trying (which was refunded when I complained). The reason given at the time was that the network o2 uses in the USA was undergoing some work (I think). I’m going again next month and was wondering if this situation had improved? I’m happy to pay the £6 but I don’t want to pay it, not get anything for it, and then go to the effort of trying to get a refund. I’ll be in New Hampshire (if that is relevant).

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

@Susan6 

Previously the data speeds were throttled to 0.5mbps but this has now been increased to 2mbps, so it is more useable, but still not fast.

Others have reported that T-Mobile network in USA works better than AT&T so worth checking both.

If fast data is important, you will be better off getting a local PAYG sim whilst there.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 10

Susan6
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, thanks for replying. This is useful information - at least now I know there was an actual reason and that something may have changed. I will give it a go when I get there and see if it's useable now. It's not hugely important - just useful to have access to maps, etc., when out and about! Thanks again.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

You're welcome @Susan6 and good luck.

Maps can be downloaded when on wifi to use offline when travelling but I recognise the fact that you said maps etc, so doesn't help with all data requirements.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 10

Susan6
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Maps are probably the main thing, and I hadn't even thought of downloading them before going outside. That's a great idea! Thanks again.

Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 124732 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7533 Solutions

@Susan6 

Advice from one of our members @Bambino, who lives in the US. If you buy a local US PAYG sim from T Mobile, do NOT purchase from the airport as they are far too expensive. These sims can be bought anywhere in the States, from Stores, garages even the very local 7-11 store.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23672 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3752 Solutions

@Susan6 Edit: See this guide: USA - Roaming with O2 - O2 Community

With reference to using maps when you're in the US, you can download the areas you need before you even leave the UK. Just make sure you're downloading using your WiFi connection:

Download areas & navigate offline - iPhone & iPad - Google Maps Help

Download areas & navigate offline - Android - Google Maps Help

As far as using a local T-Mobile or AT&T sim goes, there is no better or worse. It all depends on where you are and your proximity to the mast from either network, which could change if you're moving around. 

If while using a local US sim you need to keep in touch with friends or family in the UK, download WhatsApp. If you use it over a WiFi connection you can call, text, or video call anyone anywhere in the world who also has the app for free.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

@Susan6 

If you stay with your O2 sim you can manually switch between using T-Mobile or AT&T in your phone settings, so no need to be tied to either one for the duration.

Message 8 of 10

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8145 Posts
  • 168 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Susan6 

Advice from one of our members @Bambino, who lives in the US. If you buy a local US PAYG sim from T Mobile, do NOT purchase from the airport as they are far too expensive. These sims can be bought anywhere in the States, from Stores, garages even the very local 7-11 store.

It is worth bearing in mind @Susan6 that you can buy local US PAYG SIMs before you depart from the likes of Amazon UK. I have no idea how they compare in price to buying them in the US itself, but it is something that you might want to consider. 👍  

Message 9 of 10

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23672 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3752 Solutions

@Susan6 Probably cheaper to buy a US sim in the US, plus if you don't know which network has the better signal in the area you're going to be in most you could possibly buy the wrong sim.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 10