Did you mean: 

Data abroad

Billin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Please help,

I’m now living abroad and as a result have an 02 SIM card and a 3rd party SIM card I’ve been using for 2 months. I just received a Bill with a lot of payable data usage but my o2 SIM card has not been in the phone for 7 weeks. Can anyone tell me what setting I need to change to stop this? My provider is showing as being my days provider and network provider so it’s not that..

Thanks

Callum
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Billin 

You don't say where you are abroad or how long you have been there?

Nor what 3rd party sim you are using?

O2 have a policy of using  your phone abroad for more than 63 days in a 4 month period will be classed as overusage. https://www.o2.co.uk/roamfairuse  This applies to any roaming in any country.

You will then be charged at standard roaming rates, applicable to the country you are in.

The best thing to do is buy a local sim and use that.

Remove the O2 and 3rd party sim from the phone completely.  

Use Wifi wherever possible.

If you want to dispute any usage you can call O2 on any number in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Billin 

You don't say where you are abroad or how long you have been there?

Nor what 3rd party sim you are using?

O2 have a policy of using  your phone abroad for more than 63 days in a 4 month period will be classed as overusage. https://www.o2.co.uk/roamfairuse  This applies to any roaming in any country.

You will then be charged at standard roaming rates, applicable to the country you are in.

The best thing to do is buy a local sim and use that.

Remove the O2 and 3rd party sim from the phone completely.  

Use Wifi wherever possible.

If you want to dispute any usage you can call O2 on any number in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Billin 

Just to add, it doesn't matter what network provider is showing on your phone whilst abroad. These are networks partnered with O2 to allow usage of your phone during travel.

For instance, if I go to Spain using my O2 phone, I connect to Movistar (a Spanish network)

However, I am still using my O2 sim, so my bill will be payable to O2.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

Billin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks,

I’m in Qatar and I’m using an oredoo sim all the time. Yet my o2 Bill is high. I’ve not had the 02 sim in the phone during that Bill period.
Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Then as I said @Billin  you need to contact O2 about your bill if you are questioning it.

If you didn't have the O2 travel bolt on,https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad which would have cost £4.99 per day for texts, calls and data, then these are the international rates you are paying using an O2 sim

Qatar.PNG

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad# 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Billin 

Data use abroad can be billed late.

It all depends on the local network and how often they resolve their bills with roaming partners.

It's quite possible that these data charges are from a previous month when you may have been using your o2 sim.

Usually, this would show as a "late landing charge" on your bill.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6