cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Plans on Simplicity Tariff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone - after four 'Chats' with 'Gurus' who are clearly checking the same website I am - explain to me in plain English why I can only pay for 500MB data (£6/month; 'The All-Rounder') on the month-to-month Simplicity 100 tariff? I would like to pay £10/month for 1GB ('The Works') but this is only supported on tariffs of 600mins (£21/month before data) and above. Why exactly?

I've been an O2 customer for over 4 years, have paid them over £2000 in this time, and recently switched off the iPhone 35 tariff (using an iPhone 4) on an 'upgrade' to save some money, but am seriously considering jumping ship to 3 over this. I can see no good reason why a customer willing to pay that £10/month shouldn't be allowed to on the lower tariff, other than to force them into a higher basic cost. I have no need for 600 mins and Unlimited texts, simply an extra 500MB without paying every month for several one-off 100MB Bolt Ons at £3 each - and this seems rather cynical on O2's part.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
What you are looking for can't be done. O2 have decided not to offer that particular bundle on that particular tariff.

I understand that you're not happy about it, but there are plenty of other options out there including moving network.

You seem to want to stay with O2 for various reasons, if you do decide to stay with O2 while you're still in the country, then you need to get your head around it that what you're asking for isn't going to happen, no matter how unhappy it makes you.

Unfortunately that is the the answer to your enquiry.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use the payg simplicity tariff for £25.50 which gives me 300 mins, 50 mms, unlimited texts and wifi and also 1gb which is the best I can find available to me. I use the net a lot and find 1gb just covers my needs.

I was looking at giffgaff and 3 like you ref their better data bundles but I suppose with me it's better the devil you know !

Plus 02 gives me the best network coverage where I reside and work. 

Message 2 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23045 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Doesn't giffgaff use O2's network?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Doesn't giffgaff use O2's network?

Yes it does.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
and Tesco too.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi KHS86
It is a decision that the O2 marketing team came up with back in March when they introduced the latest Q1 12 tariffs and I totally see your point in questioning why you should pay for more minutes just so you can pay for a higher data allowance... It baffles me too slight_frown

The only resolution I can think of, that is, if you wish to stay with O2, is to consider moving to the £20 unlimited on and on 12 month sim only tariff for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 1 GB data and unlimited BT openzone wifi.

While I appreciate you don't need the minutes, by signing up to the £20 deal this would mean you are paying the same price as the 30 day sim for 100 minutes, unlimited texts and 1 GB data (say for example, if O2 allowed you to do what you wanted) totalling £20.50 per month?

However, this all depends on whether you specifically only want a 30 day rolling sim only.

If your only concern about the 12 month contract is having to wait a year to upgrade to a new phone, don't forget that on the £20 tariff above you have the option of upgrading to a phone contract any time after 6 months with O2 directly (if required) without having to pay a buyout fee to do so slight_smile

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
This was suggested to me, but the reason I want the rolling contract is I may be moving abroad in 6-9 months so don't want to agree to a new longer-term contract.

I honestly think this is utter nonsense. I can jump ship to 3 and get Unlimited data and texts, 250mins on a 30-day contract for £14ish.
Message 7 of 16

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

To be honest, given your possible plans, I would go with 3 if it the tariff meets your needs. If O2 can't match it then as long as the coverage is ok I'm afraid I would jump ship.

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
The possible issue with giffgaff and unlimited data is that some users perform unauthorised tethering which causes connection drops.

My daughters Internet on giffgaff is intermittent !

Do please update your thread with your eventual outcome to resolve it.

Take care.
Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Giffgaff have recently revised their pricing structure to address that issue and have banned tethering on the £10 tariff. You now get 1gb for £10 or unlimited with tethering for £12
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 16