cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Congestion

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi is anyone having problems with o2 in certain areas? In my location o2 have stated that the mast in the town is 100% capacity.
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hiya @Poppysmum

Data congestion primarily affects 2g and to a much greater extent 3g data signals. Imagine you are driving down the motorway and there is too much traffic. Speeds slow and sometimes you come to a stop. 3g is similar. There is a limited amount of capacity from the mast to the fibre networks that carry your data.

4g is not affected in the same way as there isn't the same bottleneck as 3g.

Note on 3g both calls and texts can also use the 3g system. If capacity is breached, then calls take priority followed by texts followed by data (info from o2)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Yes, common problem.
Do a search on here and you will see it's all over the country 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many areas are well over 100% capacity @TobyAcky. Has 4g reached your area yet?

If the answer is no then the Network Modernisation Programme should eventually reach you and things should then improve.

If yes then you need to flag this to O2 network services through the My Network App.

Message 3 of 10

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Yes i have i cant use my phone in my mums says emergency calls only,

Couple year ago phone worked brills .

Glad its only in mums it doesnt work.  

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
If your phone says emergency calls only @Poppysmum that is not a data congestion issue.

That will be a lack of signal I.E. you are not in o2 signal at any level.

A mobile can call 999 using any network it can find with or without a simple hence why you can make emergency calls only
Message 5 of 10

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
If your phone says emergency calls only @Poppysmum that is not a data congestion issue.

That will be a lack of signal I.E. you are not in o2 signal at any level.

A mobile can call 999 using any network it can find with or without a simple hence why you can make emergency calls only

Thank you for this i will remember that.

So what exactly is data congestion please ? @Anonymous

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hiya @Poppysmum

Data congestion primarily affects 2g and to a much greater extent 3g data signals. Imagine you are driving down the motorway and there is too much traffic. Speeds slow and sometimes you come to a stop. 3g is similar. There is a limited amount of capacity from the mast to the fibre networks that carry your data.

4g is not affected in the same way as there isn't the same bottleneck as 3g.

Note on 3g both calls and texts can also use the 3g system. If capacity is breached, then calls take priority followed by texts followed by data (info from o2)
Message 7 of 10

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

piperdog123 Thanks!

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anytime. Happy to help @Poppysmum
Message 9 of 10

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We have a problem where i work with 4g. Sometimes it will randomly stop working for a few mins - no data or texts will get through. Happens with mates too so i know its not the phone. If i make a call that changes the service to 3G and then everything will work again. Then once it goes back into 4g it will be fine

Message 10 of 10