Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Bolt On asking for device type?

Viewfinder
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 33 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just looking at data bolt ons and it asks what device I have SIM in - iPhone, Smartphone, Blackberry or Standard phone.

The bolt on price remains the same no matter which I choose, is there a reason why device type is needed, surely data is data no matter what? Do they need to treat data any differently per device?

For example if I decide I want to put my SIM in another phone that is either iphone or android, would it need any reconfiguration. Would have thought the O2 access point config would be same?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Data has different apns depending on what device you have, that's why they need to apply the right access to the number.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Data has different apns depending on what device you have, that's why they need to apply the right access to the number.
Message 2 of 6

Viewfinder
  • 33 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks viridis, as I thought it would be more for APN purposes than anything else.

MyO2 always seems to be able to identify device so didn't think they'd need to know but at least it's nothing bolt on or data / traffic shaping wise... Thanks
Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Blackberry and I phones need a different account setting to android as viridis says . The only TM is applied to roaming data when abroad. There's nothing at home.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the explanation guys.
Message 5 of 6

Viewfinder
  • 33 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Indeed! Thanks Viridis / MI5!

Message 6 of 6