cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract ends 29/1/15 I dont wish to renew. Can I confirm this with O2 so they don't bill me in Feb?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contract ends on 29th of January I have been in store to Dungannon and to Belfast and both have told me they can't help me until January. I do not want to renew my contract as it is too expensive I would like some advice on what to do to prevent O2 billing me in February my brother had a similar problem and O2 billed him for an extra month because he was told he "Did not inform O2 that he wished to cancel his contract" I would be interested in changing to a different tarriff but how do I do this?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Help links.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Obtaining-a-PAC-Code-from-the-O2-Network/m-p/54427...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

You just need to give 30 days notice when it's time.

You can cancel or transfer it to Payg or use a pac code.

To change tariff speak to O2 on 202 but you can't reduce the monthly cost amount or when ready uograde and choose a new tariff then.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Help links.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Obtaining-a-PAC-Code-from-the-O2-Network/m-p/54427...

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

You just need to give 30 days notice when it's time.

You can cancel or transfer it to Payg or use a pac code.

To change tariff speak to O2 on 202 but you can't reduce the monthly cost amount or when ready uograde and choose a new tariff then.
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I may add :

If you do cancel your contract when it's time and migrate to another network etc then please don't cancel your O2 direct debit after the last payment is taken for a few months.

This is because if O2 try, even in error, to take another payment and it defaults then they will chase for the payment and in extreme circumstances sell the debt to doorstep style collectors and or place a default on your Credit File causing possible issues on getting other contracts or credit or mortgages etc.

It can be a struggle to have removed.
Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

You need to give them 30 days notice to cancel your contract. (So leaving it till January as suggested by the store) is a little late.

CS will discuss any future change of tariff options with you.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Here's a question.....is that at least 30 days notice or precisely 30 days notice.

Most contracts I've ever dealt with require a minimum notification period but it's acceptable to give say 3 months notice.....anybody know ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Not sure but I would think as long as you have clearly stated the date contract ends, that should suffice as long as it is no shorter than 30 days?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Write in with the date you wish to terminate contract to this address:
Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, once your contract is up you can also reduce the tariff by changing to a sim only deal. If you don't need a phone then they are the best option, cost wise. If you don't want a contract you can choose a monthly rolling one. Also don't worry too much about the notice because if u transfer your number to pay and go or port it out, it will be done in 48h and there is no need to give notice, when the number transfers out it cancels the contract. Hope this helps! slight_smile 

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I shall put my legal eagle hat on.

You can give notice at ANY time during a contract although the end date of the contract must be that agreed.

Therefore the OP should be able to call CS and give notice now, with the end date being the 29th Jan. In practice however most CS agents won't understand the concept therefore I would advise the OP to call o2 on 30th Dec to formally give notice if they won't take it before.

I would also advise taking a note of the date, time, name of advisor and the call centre they are based in just in case there is a query later.
Message 9 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
or just send a recorded letter wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 11