cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for a call I didn't make

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All. After some advice. I have an O2 contract for my sons phone. Last week he told me that he was unable to make calls / get 3G, 4G. I called O2 and was told that there had been a block put on the phone because a four and a half hour call had been made from his phone (in the UK) to Cyprus. This call racket up a charge of c£250!!!
My son is 12 and knows NOBODY in Cyprus
As a family we know NOBODY in Cyprus
The call ended just before midnight on a school night
My Son isn't allowed to take his phone when he goes to bed
Quite simply - the call didn't happen from this phone.
The lovely people I spoke to at O2 (actually that's not sarcasm) said they would start an investigation and come back to me within a week as the process takes 5 days....report was logged on Monday this week.
I know (hope) I'm worrying about nothing here but I want to know that the investigation will be able to prove we didn't make this call. How does that happen and what's the process.
Thanks
Morgan
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
The network team will investigate and get back to you as stated.
Also check in the My O2 for the account to see what is showing in there http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the number that you supposedly dialled begin 074? If so, it could be a Lycamobile number which look like the average UK mobile number but costs a fortune to ring.

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the number that you supposedly dialled begin 074? If so, it could be a Lycamobile number which look like the average UK mobile number but costs a fortune to ring.

Who told you that....?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Who told you that....?

I've come accross it before where what looks to be a normal dialled UK number has been charged excessively as it belongs to Lycamobile. Normally these numbers begin 074

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
Misinformed mate.
All Lyca numbers start 07404 and the list of call forwarding numbers that I think you are referring to is here:
http://www.o2.co.uk/popups/specialnumbers-popup-07

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Misinformed mate.
All Lyca numbers start 07404 and the list of call forwarding numbers that I think you are referring to is here:
http://www.o2.co.uk/popups/specialnumbers-popup-07

Great info @MI5 my experience has only ever been with Lyca so wasn't aware of the many others. Still, one of these could have been dialled

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
Thanks, but the important point is that you can call a Lyca mobile number just the same as an o2, voda or EE number etc.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
The number O2 gave me was 0035725750555
I'm unfortunately unable to check the phone because he received a new replacement from Apple due to a fault.
Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
It's here as a contact number for a job http://www.cyprusjobs.com/jobdetails/jobs_details.html?job_jobs_id=24735

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 10 of 12