cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged More than £1.99 when using data in Sweden

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can any one help me with this, today I arrived in Sweden. The O2 "welcome to Sweden"text - "start using data for £1.99 per day etc" came through, then a few hours later it says you have currently used £40 worth of data... Rang O2 and they seem to think it's my fault even though they told me that I should be on the O2 Travel Bolto on. (Which is fully active on my account)
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
You can set the network to manual selection but you shouldn't have any problems in Sweden.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 11 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Thanks for clarifying that you flew into Sweden. It seems when you landed you were on an EU network. The 2nd text infers (as you say) that you probably lost the EU network and connected to another one. (though you were still in the EU so not sure how that happened.)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 23

Getafix
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

As already mentioned, the second text confirms that got connected to a Non EU Network.

eg Ferry/Cross Border.

Hence my recommendation when roaming to Manually select a Network. Also when in UK near the borders especially Ireland, you could end up Roaming on a newtwork unintentionally.

I had a similar issue near the Canada Border. Luckily data was off and I realised it when I got the text.

Message 13 of 23

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Sweden is surrounded by countries covered by O2 European rates so unless the op was sat in the docks for their trip....

Points to a roaming error and customer should not be liable
Message 14 of 23

Getafix
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

Points to a roaming error and customer should not be liable

And the bill will confirm which Network was being used. Considering the op got a text mentioning that they will be charged regular roaming rates, means the Network they were on is not part of the EU.

Possibility can be that O2 has not added a Network to their EU list. Which again the bill will be able to confirm.

Message 15 of 23

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
I've never seen any networks listed on my bill, home or abroad, but surely CS can see that without having to wait for a bill to be generated.
It's just CS fobbing off the customer because they CBA to look into it......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 16 of 23

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It won't be listed as a network, simply state non-EU data/roaming

Obviously a mistake so they need to sort it.

Message 17 of 23

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I've never had a bill confirm which network is used,
It won't matter anyway, O2 travel terms do not stipulate you must connect to a certain network, just the list of covered countries.
And you need to not consider the country is part of the EU, Norway neighbours Sweden and is not part of the EU, but as a member of the European economic area under the European free trade association, it is also covered by O2 travel.
Sweden is surrounded by participating countries and as the customer WAS in a listed country with no chance of border signal becoming non O2 travel, they need to press customer services for an explanation.
Message 18 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

I have never seen a network listed on my bill....and  I go to Spain every 6 weeks. I can see I am on Movistar by looking at my phone but there is never a bill record of it. On one occasion when Movistar went down for 24 hrs I used Vodaphone ES. No charge but no indication of a network change on my bill either.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 23

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions