cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged £4.73 for no reason

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have recently just started an O2 contract and when looking at my data usage I seem to have already incurred an extra charge of £4.73 for a group message I sent out telling people of my new number? There were no images, no emoticons, just a simple message. Why have I been charged so much for this? I'm supposed to have unlimited sms messages.
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

You will be charged for group messages as well as MMS. Have a look at this thread

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Group Messages

Another popular way of sending an MMS unintentionally is by sending a group message.

O2 recommends that you send group texts in batches of five recipients to prevent this.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

You will be charged for group messages as well as MMS. Have a look at this thread

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Group Messages

Another popular way of sending an MMS unintentionally is by sending a group message.

O2 recommends that you send group texts in batches of five recipients to prevent this.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

This is very common 

this help guide by @MI5 should explain http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 11

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Try speaking to customer service.  If you get a sympathetic adviser he/she may well refund you.

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just happened to me also, £5 extra on top of my bill for something I already pay for. Pathetic way to run a company.
Message 5 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Just happened to me also, £5 extra on top of my bill for something I already pay for. Pathetic way to run a company.

No...you don't pay for MMS or group messaging. Your text allowances only cover SMS

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I pay for unlimited text messages, when I send out a group message with text in it I expect my unlimited messages in text to cover that.
Message 7 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Unfortunatly it is all in the t&c at the bottom of the page

Relevant excerpt below

3.1 Subject to these Tariff Terms, inclusive messages on Pay Monthly tariffs can be used for texts (meaning individual SMS) sent in the UK to UK mobiles or tablets that are capable of receiving texts, from your SIM card for private and personal purposes. You may not be able to use your inclusive text allowance if you are using a device or tablet that cannot send or receive standard network text messages, so please check device specifications before buying. Text messages sent to multiple recipients may be classed as MMS or use a data allowance depending on device functionality.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I pay for unlimited text messages, when I send out a group message with text in it I expect my unlimited messages in text to cover that.

If you send to less than 5 it will be covered.....Any more and it wont....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
That help thread is sooo helpful !
Thanks for the great advice guys slight_smile
Message 10 of 11