cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from monthly to PAYG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought an Iphone 5S last year and the contract runs out this month. I never used the phone even at O2's lowest tariff of £8 (really!) and so just wanted to change to PAYG so I have an emergency means of contact.

I went to O2 Trowbridge today and explained the situation. They 'sold' me a new sim and I think from the receipt that it has £10 credit on it.

Tonight I sat down with the phone and the sim doesn't fit. It is too big! The new one has a push out section which is still too big. I suspect that the Iphone has a dedicated sim.

I queried why I would need a new sim anyway as I intend staying with O2 but on a PAYG basis but didn't get much of an answer. I was told to put the new sim in the phone then call 0202 to change the number on the new sim to my old number.

It's too late to go back tonight but I wonder if anyone can clarify if I need all this palava to switch from a monthly contract to PAYG?

One other thing. I have cancelled the Direct Debit at my end as most firms have a nasty habit of simply rolling the payments over without asking. Do I need to do anything at O2s end? I really don't want them blocking the phone (which I paid for cash.)

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Firstly you need a NANO SIm for the iPhone - The shop should know this ?
Secondly you need to cancel your contract with O2 CS http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus and NOT just stop the DD as this will end you up in debt.
You do need a new sim card as PAYG is different to contract so they got that bit correct and the £10 charge is standard although can be waved at the store managers discretion.
Help thread on cancelling here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Firstly you need a NANO SIm for the iPhone - The shop should know this ?
Secondly you need to cancel your contract with O2 CS http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus and NOT just stop the DD as this will end you up in debt.
You do need a new sim card as PAYG is different to contract so they got that bit correct and the £10 charge is standard although can be waved at the store managers discretion.
Help thread on cancelling here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sorry, I forgot to add if you go back to the shop and ask for the correct Nano sim they will swap it over for you for free.
CS can also transfer your pay monthly number to the new PAYG sim too so you can keep the same phone number if required.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

As you're still under your contract, please call Customer Service on 202 from your mobile, which is a free call, and inform them as to what you've done regarding your Direct Debit. You should have given O2 30 days notice to cancel your contract. As it expires this month, it would normally just roll into a 30 day rolling contract at the end, so you may very well owe another month.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently changed back to Pay & Go too. I did this via the online chat n they sent me a new sim free of charge n with my old number already activated!

Only problem now is they've billed me for early termination fee, which I'm in the process of having this refunded, which shudn't have happened as I opted for O2 Refresh tarriff!

It was a smooth switch for me and my new sim arrived in 2 days.

Hope u get it sorted n defo demand a refund!!!

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Only problem now is they've billed me for early termination fee, which I'm in the process of having this refunded, which shudn't have happened as I opted for O2 Refresh tarriff!

You're not the first to mention this issue 😞

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 7