cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel Contract at the end of the term

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contract comes to an end on 28/11/2014. I tried to get through to cancellations yesterday and today however I'm unable to due to technical difficulties with O2. I did speak to someone in billing/accounts yesterday who said they would flag my contract not to continue however I did not receive any confirmation of this via sms/email even though I was told I would. I really just want to give 30 days notice on my contract and not have it continue - I don't want to keep my number either.

'O2 Chat' has also proved useless where I am told I'm being transferred however after leaving the screen open for 2 hours I still had no response.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You really need to keep trying on 202. I wouldn't rely on someone saying they are flagging the account to be honest. You need to give 30 days notice so no need to worry about PAC if you don't want the number. A useful link here : http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

You can send in notice via a recorded letter, address in link.

I suggest you don't cancel any DD until you get a zero bill.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You really need to keep trying on 202. I wouldn't rely on someone saying they are flagging the account to be honest. You need to give 30 days notice so no need to worry about PAC if you don't want the number. A useful link here : http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

You can send in notice via a recorded letter, address in link.

I suggest you don't cancel any DD until you get a zero bill.

Message 2 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Please take jonsie's advice and follow the link he's provided. It's all you need to know.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It may also be a thought to get the phone unlocked before you leave. It's free on contract and you simply fill in the unlock form from the link in my signature. Better resale value if you sell the phone on.

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
And on the back of advising to unlock the handset we do advise trying out other network payg sims to ensure your new network provides good strong signal before committing to them.
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice but I've spent around 3 hours on 202. I've now just been told I have to phone up exactly 30 days before the contract expires to cancel otherwide I'll get a disconnection fee. I was then told that a recorded deliver lettery would not be good enough then I was hung up on. 

I'll go down the letter route as O2 technical difficulties seem to just continue in their call centres. 

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You could ask them to transfer the contract to a Payg style account which will also start the process of cancellation.( I know you said the number was not important to keep. )

I'm surprised they said a recorded delivery letter was not acceptable.

Perhaps put your concerns in writing here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain

I know I would !
Message 7 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice but I've spent around 3 hours on 202. I've now just been told I have to phone up exactly 30 days before the contract expires to cancel otherwide I'll get a disconnection fee. I was then told that a recorded deliver lettery would not be good enough then I was hung up on. 

I'll go down the letter route as O2 technical difficulties seem to just continue in their call centres. 

Whoever told you that you couldn't cancel by recorded delivery letter is an out and out liar. Below is a direct quote from O2's Terms & Conditions. It's very badly worded, as no one from O2 appears to have proof read it.

"19 Notices

• 19.1 If you want to end the Agreement for any of the reasons described in paragraph 8.2 or 8.4, you must call customer service and call customer service and give us Notice of at least 30 days.
  • 19.2 Any other type of notice related to this Agreement must be:

• (a) by you in writing and delivered by email, by hand or sent by pre-paid post, to us at the address on your bill or be delivered through the 'Contact Us' section of our Website. You'll need to tell us your full name, address, account number and Mobile Phone number when sending notice through the 'Contact Us' section of the Website; and/or
    • (b) by us in writing by post or email to you at the most recent address you've given us (and you must keep us updated if your details change), or by SMS, MyO2 or bill communication, Website notification or other method of written notification which we may reasonably use to communicate with you."

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's strange and a disgrace that advisers are giving out statements that contravene their own terms and conditions. A recorded letter has always been an acceptable way of ending a contract.

Message 9 of 9