cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't pay bill online or automated service payment

Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband is trying to pay his airtime bill but won't accept payment, he never had problems before and we have made numerous attempts. Just keeps saying payment failed please contact our bank. But his card is working fine elsewhere. I even tried using my card and said the same thing, tried paying with the automated payment line and got refused. So after about 15 attempts he did phone his bank and they said its nothing at the banks end and they even said there has been nothing gone through from o2 to his bank to get rejected, we did manage to pay the device plan after 5 attempts at trying. Is there something wrong with the site. As I even tried making payment around someone else house and was refused. 

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Totally ridiculous that O2 can't fix this after over a month of problems. This can have disastrous effects on peoples live for years to come. Trying to get rid of defaults wrongly placed on a credit file can be stressful and frustrating. Direct debits yes, the way to go but as said, the bill has to be paid before they will set them up.

Apart from that there are numerous reasons why direct debits aren't appropriate for some.....SO if O2 have multiple systems in place for bill payments then they should ALL work ALL of the time. Problem is no-one seems to be listening. The payments team would prefer to think that everyone not paying by direct debit is defaulting...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 38

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Totally ridiculous that O2 can't fix this after over a month of problems. This can have disastrous effects on peoples live for years to come. Trying to get rid of defaults wrongly placed on a credit file can be stressful and frustrating. Direct debits yes, the way to go but as said, the bill has to be paid before they will set them up.

Apart from that there are numerous reasons why direct debits aren't appropriate for some.....SO if O2 have multiple systems in place for bill payments then they should ALL work ALL of the time. Problem is no-one seems to be listening. The payments team would prefer to think that everyone not paying by direct debit is defaulting...

I take your point, but I don't understand why direct debits are inappropriate for some? You've entered into a contract. It has to be paid, and on time, or you will get disconnected. The easiest, least stressful way is by direct debit. I really don't understand why people don't use that option? Maybe I'm missing something?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

As with us we have got direct debit but just clashed with dates and wages going in this mth, 

Message 13 of 38

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Bambino wrote:

I take your point, but I don't understand why direct debits are inappropriate for some? You've entered into a contract. It has to be paid, and on time, or you will get disconnected. The easiest, least stressful way is by direct debit. I really don't understand why people don't use that option? Maybe I'm missing something?

I always promote direct debit @Bambino but some people have multiple devices and receive their salary at different times of the month so occasionally direct debit may be appropriate for one device but not all.

My point still stands though....if O2 have multiple payment methods then ALL should work ALL of the time

They should not be passing the buck to the banks who clearly have never received any request for payments..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 38

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I totally agree that O2's system is a shambles, and it needs to be fixed immediately, but there are ways to change direct debit dates so that they don't all hit at the same time, if monthly funds are limited. If O2 allow different methods of payment, then they all should work. That's a no-brainer. But for me, there's no other way to pay for accounts that must be paid on time than direct debit. If there are sufficient funds in your account, and the payment for some reason fails, the onus isn't on you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 38

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I totally agree that O2's system is a shambles, and it needs to be fixed immediately, but there are ways to change direct debit dates so that they don't all hit at the same time, if monthly funds are limited. If O2 allow different methods of payment, then they all should work. That's a no-brainer. But for me, there's no other way to pay for accounts that must be paid on time than direct debit. If there are sufficient funds in your account, and the payment for some reason fails, the onus isn't on you.

Only reason I haven't yet... 

To change direct debit dates. O2 will subsequently charge 2x device plan payments on next bill cycle, as the device plan can ONLY be 24 months O2 will enable a later dd date only if the device plan is kept within the 24 month period by adding an extra payment inside the 24 months.

For me personally, that's a heck of a wedge for bumping 5 days, and an extra £100+ on £250 monthly payments is a bit of a stretch.

For me, my bills are usually paid early if not smack on date due to how I'm paid, once or twice it's been a day late, again, due to how I'm paid.

This month I started trying to pay on the 25th (2 accounts, 4 payments due that day. The rest due 30th) and so far have only managed to pay the 2 due on 25th. The payments would not work on the non-overdue accounts.

Message 16 of 38

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Thanks for the explanation @viridis. Obviously it was your issue I was alluding to but wasn't my place to say any more. I always advocate direct debit......circumstances do vary though as you have shown clearly.

None of this should detract from the main issue ...a payment system failure which O2 are failing to recognise

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 38

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I think we're all in agreement that this is O2's error, and ultimately, down to O2 to rectify, without it having detrimental effects on customer's credit ratings. It really is unacceptable that it has gone on this long and there's still no end in sight.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 18 of 38

mmcguffie
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i have had a similar problem with debit cards on the website, However I have found a solution !!

Install BLUESTACKS on your pc, its an android emulator, you can use this to install the android app for O2 and it will accept debit card payments, also if you have an android phone, update to the latest version of the o2 app and you can pay via your phone

Hope this will be of help to some people at least 

Message 19 of 38

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
As said on other thread, payments fail in the app too.
Message 20 of 38