cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help with this tricky situation?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an unusual query I require help with.  I lost my phone and was given a pay as you go SIM by my dad to use.  I used this for a while as it suited my purposes.  

I then decided to get a new phone and went into the store with my partner.  A  contract was taken out in my partners name as we pay all the bills from her account. I asked for the pay as you go number to be transferred so I didnt have to change numbers and was told this would be done within 2 days, which it was and the phone worked fine and payment was taken from my partner's account as agreed and bills sent to our address.

I recieved a phone call a few months ago from O2 marketing but was told half way through the call the number was still registered to my dad,  i advised the number was transferred and was told this should not have been done but has payments were being made was ok.  I have now started having issues with my phone and have called O2 for assistance but told as I cannot answer my dads security questions they could not help me even though I explained the above. 

My issue is how do i go forward and get my phone working and if the phone number is not mine how can a contract be put into my partners name for this number and payments be taken monthly.  For personal reasons I no longer speak with my dad so I am unable to get the security questions, but feel this should not be required as we have a seperate contract. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

No it doesn't make you the account holder, many people use others to pay their accounts and it changes nothing.

The account holder is the only one who can make any changes to the account, which is technically a legal document.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

So if O2 have transferred a number that was not in my name when my partner took out the phone, and should have had permission of my father, does this not have it's own breach of security originally on O2's part? Would this not make any contract between us and O2 void? 

Message 12 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I don't think we're getting anywhere with this, the contract holder controls the contract.

How it came about is arguable and we can't make any judgement here on that.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'd suggest putting the situation in writing to o2.

Hopefully their reply will put you in the right direction.

That would mean breaching security and they won't do that.

Yes your right Perksie,

I was thinking If the OP puts the issue in writing and then o2 dont act upon it then I feel the Op's fathers credit rating it not on the top of the OP's agenda. Especially if they are estranged.

To the OP.

Maybe its just time to start again with your own contract and mobile number.

At least then the contract is in your name and you can access it when you want and upgrade when its time.

The o2 shop will not entertain any action by you to access someone elses account even with bills etc in hand.

Message 14 of 14