Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my sim in my new iPad?

Bry2769
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I upgraded to a iPad but thought I could use my existing sim and number from my iPhone. Is this correct? O2 have stopped service to my phone and I’m reliant on my phone as I have a medical condition and the hospital and various other medical help.
Thanks for any help.
Bryan.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10230 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@Bry2769

If you upgraded to an iPad then voice services are disconnected as its a data only device, with no SMS or Voice support except via Skype, WhatsApp or Facetime.

I would always recommend buying a second contract for the iPad, as this will always happen when people upgrade the iPad. 

Edited for additional advice

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 123114 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Bry2769 

You need to contact O2 and explain the mistake.

Hopefully they will restore sevice to your phone and issue you with the appropriate data only sim for your tablet.

All numbers for O2 are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

Bry2769
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Because they’ve cut of service to my phone and I’m medically shielding at the moment ,I could only contact through the online chat service. After 2 hours of being redirected to 6 different people,they said they can’t issue a new sim for the iPad and change my number to pay as you go (I need my original number as the hospital and other medical teams have it) so I have to refuse the iPad tomorrow and cancel the upgrade. Then re-apply for the upgrade with a new sim and also get a pay as you go sim and apply to have my original number.
I’ve been a O2 customer since they were BT Cellnet..over 10 yrs. I thought they could of solved it there and then. Very disappointed.
Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123114 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Bry2769 

You would be far better contacting O2 tomorrow and speaking to someone, (not using live chat)

I am sure they could restore service to your phone if you call them and explain the situation.

All numbers for O2 are in the guide I gave above.

They open at 8am.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144672 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Bry2769 wrote:
Because they’ve cut of service to my phone and I’m medically shielding at the moment ,I could only contact through the online chat service. After 2 hours of being redirected to 6 different people,they said they can’t issue a new sim for the iPad and change my number to pay as you go (I need my original number as the hospital and other medical teams have it) so I have to refuse the iPad tomorrow and cancel the upgrade. Then re-apply for the upgrade with a new sim and also get a pay as you go sim and apply to have my original number.

This is correct up to the part about getting a PAYG sim.

Once you reject the iPad, your original contract should be reinstated which means you get your original phone sim and number back,

You then need to take a new contract for an iPad.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6