cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I swap phone numbers between two O2 contracts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guy's,

I have two mobile contracts with O2 (both in my name) and would like to know if I can swap mobile numbers between the two contracts?

The reason I'd like to do this is because one of them comes up for renewal next summer and I'd like to take the upgrade but keep the number I'm using (the renewal is on the number my wife is using)

You might ask why bother? Well if O2 are offering 4g by next summer, I could have it on my renewal (and of course the sim would be different) but it would be on the wrong phone number.

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27643 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
As steersy said, just upgrade the account that's due and switch SIM's. If 4G is running by then (unlikely) you will probably be able to add a bolt on.

So you're saying upgrade the wifes phone on 3G, keep the phone for myself, swap sims and get a 4G bolt on (if available by then) for myself?

Yes that's exactly what I am saying.... Don't rely on O2 giving any unlimited data pacjages though wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
  • 93215 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just thinking about this and my brain got scrambled. 

Why dont you do the upgrade for the phone and just put your sim in it?

Then when your contract is due for upgrade you can give your wife the new phone or upgrade your phone again. Hope that makes sense.

Message 3 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

We also don't know if there will be extra charges for 4G yet, so it might be better to wait.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just thinking about this and my brain got scrambled. 

Why dont you do the upgrade for the phone and just put your sim in it?

Then when your contract is due for upgrade you can give your wife the new phone or upgrade your phone again. Hope that makes sense.

The upgrades are a year apart, and if (this is a BIG IF) O2 release the new Samsung Galaxy s4 on 4G, I'd like to upgrade to that and give my wife my S3 (whilst keeping my own number)

Message 5 of 17

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27643 Solutions
As steersy said, just upgrade the account that's due and switch SIM's. If 4G is running by then (unlikely) you will probably be able to add a bolt on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should also add that I have an unlimited T-Mobile mobile Broadband contract that's due for renewal around the same time.

So Ideally I'd like to ditch the mobile broadband contract and have a 4G mobile with unlimited data that I could tether to my laptop.

Big ask I know!!!

Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

So you're saying upgrade the wifes phone on 3G, keep the phone for myself, swap sims and get a 4G bolt on (if available by then) for myself?

Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

4g will be overpriced, stick to 3G when you have the opportunity

Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tangoman, 

I think as we all do you are over complicating it. Upgrade the phone on the next contract available then by the time 4g is available you will be able to upgrade the next contract. 

I would not bank on 4g tethering being cheaper than having broadband, I think it will end up costing you more.

Hope your wife is understanding with your techy side lol

Message 10 of 17