Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from UK O2 to my UK O2 mobile in France

mark245
Level 1: Joiner
  • 21 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am travelling to France and will have data roaming on to take advantage of my pay monthy tariff. If my son calls me from the UK when I am there (all phones on same contract) will he have to pay the big international cost of £1.50 / min or 35p for a text?

I recall last year that there was no cost or it was minimal. The O2 website is not clear on this point. I can make all calls and texts within my allowance, but he can't?

Thank you.

Mark

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No cost for him to call you or for you to receive.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No cost for him to call you or for you to receive.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

mark245
Level 1: Joiner
  • 21 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In the store they told me he would have to pay because we were not in the UK and we will have data roaming on. Maybe they thought he would dial a french number.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Mark

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, if it was a French mobile he would pay for sure, but not a UK one.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Think this is where everyone gets confused. .

if your in France using your o2 sim and your son is in Uk using a uk sim (any UK network)

then when hen your son calls you, if you had not told him you was in France how would he know.  He's still dialling a UK mobile number as if you was in UK.

same with SMS. He still sms you the same as again you were in UK.  Nothing changes for him.

as you are In France which is now part of the Free EU roaming, then you won't pay for inbound calls. And if you have SMS and mins left on your tariff, then you can call to U.K. and SMS the uk for free.

only charges apply if you have a French Sim, then you son will SMS a French number or call a French number to which yes your son would then be charged as this is calling over seas.  

Lots of ehat hat your asking is covered here.  It's one of the first links on this page. 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Roaming-Changes-from-15th-June-2017-CONTRACT-ON...

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 5 of 6

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @mark245, welcome to our forum! Hope it's all clear now with the calling costs. Where in France are you travelling, out of curiosity? smiley

Thanks @MI5 and @darrengf for your help! slight_smile

Message 6 of 6