cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New Customers Only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 14 months into a 24 month contract.  I pay £21 for unlimited calls and texts and 3Gb of data.  I often hit my limit before my bill date.

I saw on the o2 web site yesterday they had a tariff for £20 that includes 10Gb of data so I called and asked to change my tariff and was told that I could only do it if I paid up the current contract and started again.  The best he could do was 5Gb for £25

I'll admit, I was a bit nonplussed.  I thought you could change tariff if you wanted or needed to.  Is it right/true that this much cheaper tariff is only available to new customers?  I've been with o2 since they were BT Cellnet.

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144556 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
Log into your MyO2 and go to change my tariff and it will show you what you can upgrade your current tariff to http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
That 20gb deal isn't just new customers but it will be new or upgrading contracts so you may only be able to change to that one specifically when you upgrade.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

The network will usually allow you to increase your tariff so you pay more but not the other way round.

Message 2 of 21

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Have u tried ringing again to get a different CS agent?

Although I'm inclined to believe these types of offers are for new sign ups. The only option then would be to pay up your current contract and take out this as a new one.
Message 3 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144556 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
Log into your MyO2 and go to change my tariff and it will show you what you can upgrade your current tariff to http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
That 20gb deal isn't just new customers but it will be new or upgrading contracts so you may only be able to change to that one specifically when you upgrade.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can understand that but the 10Gb price for me is a whopping £29 a month.

A new customer could have 20Gb for £25 but if I want 20Gb they want £34 a month.

That's racketeering in my book.

Message 5 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123045 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

If you want a better deal @Anonymous you will have to pay off your current contract and start with a new one. This often happens. Deals look good at the time you buy ...and then before Christmas new ones come along to tempt new buyers

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 21

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10215 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

o2 will only allow you to move to a more expensive tariff, and dont allow downgrade of tarif, this has been the case for at least the past 3 or 4 years, and is also in your T&C's that you read and agreed to when you signed up to o2. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

In my o2 app, I can upgrade to 5Gb for £24.31 a month

10Gb for £29.37 a month

20Gb for £34.44 a month.

A massive disparity from their advertised tariffs.

To buy out my contract would cost me 10 x £21 a month so £210...

Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand about not downgrading but all I want is more data without being completely ripped off.

Not an unreasonable request, I don't think.

Message 9 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123045 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I can understand that but the 10Gb price for me is a whopping £29 a month.

A new customer could have 20Gb for £25 but if I want 20Gb they want £34 a month.

That's racketeering in my book.

No it's not. I have the same now. I bought a 4GB sim only tariff at the beginning of the year. I could NOW get a 10GB tariff for less than I pay now....It's how the offers work...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 21