cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for emoticons (smiley faces) as MMS/picture messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a good look through the forum but can not see anything like this problem.

A friend of mine had a large bill come through this month and contacted 02 customer service.

Basically she was told her bill was so high because she had used above and beyond her MMS/picture message qouta which she refused to except but was told that a Emoticon (smiley face) counted as a MMS/picture message.

Has anybody encountered this or confirm or decline this??

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 104
103 REPLIES 103

Anonymous
Not applicable

no one??

Message 2 of 104

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Get her to call again and check her charges in MyO2 first, being armed with some evidence should help.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that but the phone is a new S3 first month of charges. I am on O2 with a galaxy s2 so not sure what the difference would be. Using the emoticons that are available via the text message screens not a 3rd party app either.

Strange one!!

Message 5 of 104

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Emoticons are sent as txt so I can't believe that would be the cause of the charges.

It's only once the txt lands on the phone that the emoticons become an actual picture.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 104

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I'm using an S3 without problems so I'm not sure why some phones convert sms to mms with emoticons. There is an alert setting on the S3 to warn when a sms gets converted so perhaps the answer lies in the settings?

Message 7 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

She is sitting next to me so just asked as well if the texts she sent were of a long nature over a certain amount that could be classed as a MMS but they were all short and sweet messages with smileys. 

Having been pointed to the HTC link above it seems a few people have had the issue.

We are both in agreement that if we deserve the charges then we will pay for it but this doesn't seem right.

Thanks everybody so far for your responses

Message 8 of 104

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is interesting to know. thanks Jonsie
Message 9 of 104

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
It is a bit of a piss take messages over the character limit are sent as mms rather than two SMS.

Annoyingly there's no way we can test real time to see what causing the charges(12hours before they hit the bill)

I'd advise arguing it. Picture/video/not native smilies(third party) should be mms.

A native emoticon is sent via plain txt so cannot be classed as mms.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 10 of 104