Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling reception

Marion_Gold
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

"Sorry, a phone mast close to you isn't working. To fix it for you, we need to get into the site. We’re talking to the landlord and will enter as soon as we can. In the meantime, you might have some trouble with your calls, texts and data. Please bear with us. We’ll update you by Friday 1st May 2020."

Really? The efficiency of the service I'm paying for is dependent on the whims of a landlord? And up to 2 weeks to fix? Will I get a refund for inconvenience especially when staying at home is compulsory...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Hi @Marion_Gold sadly given the current circumstances everything including repairs will take longer, and that is assuming it is safe for the engineers to enter the building they need to to fix the equipment.

They will also need to ensure they have all the required parts, etc before they enter. Sadly where O2 don't own the building they do need to get permissions (as do all telecom providers in this example), and these do take time (especially where the Landlord may be a company rather than an individual).

If you're experiencing signal and service loss as a result of this you can call O2 and ask for compensation, but they're not under any obligations to do so. Sadly no network can ensure 100% up-time and that equipment will remain issue free.
Message 2 of 9

Marion_Gold
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just replied to this  but no record of it so here goes again...

Firstly thank you for the reply and apologies for delayed response.

While no network can ensure 100% up-time, neither is it acceptable for the up-time to be constantly erratic and unreliable which is my home-use experience...

I'm thinking of getting a signal boost but a brief online search for info shows a minefield of expensive equipment requiring degree level knowledge to make an informed decision...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 3 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Marion_Gold 

Most boosters are illegal and the ones that aren't just don't work. 
O2 are aware of the issue so will fix it as soon as they can and yes, if they are renting space on someone else's land, they have to wait for permission to enter. Not unusual at all these days for any network. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

Marion_Gold
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for advice but are we talking about the same kind of signal booster? I meant one that would boost wifi signal from router 2 floors up from where I frequently need to use my phone... Why would that be illegal?
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Marion_Gold 

WiFi boosters are perfectly legal.

It's mobile signal boosters that aren't.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

I have a couple of these around the house.

Very easy to setup and work well https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AHXXJVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Marion_Gold
  • 13 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
thanks - I'll try it
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9