cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few advanced questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

There are some people coming to the UK and they want me to send them some UK SIM cards. Some of them would like me to handle the top-ups, and some of them would like to do it themselves when they land in the UK. I already know O2 don't accept foreign credit/debit cards.

I have a few questions:

1. Can a top-up/activation be done without first inserting the SIM card into a phone?

If NO, then is it okay if I ask them to insert the SIM card abroad? Or do I need to make sure I do the insertion here in the UK before sending the SIM out to them?

2. I am thinking of sending them the International Sim tariff SIM, so that all options are open to them. If any of them wants to use the Big Bundle tariff (for example £10), does it make a difference whether or not they text 10BUNDLE before or after topping up?

(The reason why I'm asking is because, if they top-up £10 first, they will get 3000 O2 texts and 50MB data for free. Will that therefore disallow them from converting the £10 into a Big Bundle? What will happen to the free allowance?)

3. Can the 10BUNDLE text be sent from abroad? Can 2202 be called from abroad?

4. Is the £13 2GB data bolt-on available on Pay & Go, or is it only available for contract customers? The reason why I'm asking this is because it doesn't say "Or call 2202 for Pay & Go" for this bolt-on.

I hope that you can help me with these questions.

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you buy sim cards in an o2 shop you can buy the first top up at the same time.
This activates the Sim with the default package which can be changed later but the first month will be the default for the sim.
The data bolt on you mention is only for contract.
Packs can only be changed if connected to o2 when in the UK.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you buy sim cards in an o2 shop you can buy the first top up at the same time.
This activates the Sim with the default package which can be changed later but the first month will be the default for the sim.
The data bolt on you mention is only for contract.
Packs can only be changed if connected to o2 when in the UK.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2