cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64055 number SMS scam

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's 3.39 AM and I've just been woken by an unsolicited SMS message from 64055 saying -

"FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to FunPortal for £4.50 per week from FunPortal  until you text STOP to 64055. HELP? 01183244333"

I most certainly have not subscribed to any SMS service I abhor such things and have no wish to be disturbed at any time let alone near 4 in the morning, I keep my phone up to date with the offered system updates and as secure as I can with BitDefender, I do not sideload apps, I have "allow apps from unknown sources" disabled, I'm running the stock Android 6.01 and pay attention to anything asking for permissions to make calls or send messages and refuse to allow this.

How can I prevent such premium messages? How can I make sure I'm not having this money stolen from me for something completely unsolicited?

I have seen recomendations to follow the advice of text STOP to the number, but my phone actually pops up a warning message that I will be charged if I attempt to do this, and I'm very concerned that it will in fact also be abused by the scam as an aknowledgement that my phone is active.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Follow the advice here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premiu...

find the company concerned and call the landline number

Edit to remove text after editing link text

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Follow the advice here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premiu...

find the company concerned and call the landline number

Edit to remove text after editing link text

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93246 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Merely clicking on a link can subscribe you to these pirates but the best way forward is to call the number and ask to be removed from their data base requesting a refund for any charges. 

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144400 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Make sure you report the company too so that a profile can be built up.
The regulator will take action once they get enough negative reports which will help prevent others being scammed by the same company.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report where / how?

Ok, looking through adamtemp64's linked thread, thanks.

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144400 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Direct link here http://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/unexpected-phone-charge
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried ringing the landline. They want your mobile number. No way will i give a company i don't know those details. So I tried the PSA. Completely useless and seemed to defend the scammers.
I have reported it to Action Fraud who will investigate
I suggest any one else reports it to Action Fraud.
Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144400 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
I guess they will need your mobile number to know which on to take off their database ?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@Anonymous while I agree that I'd not want to give them my number, if they're already charging you they have it anyway. You do need to try and get it stopped yourself as I'll doubt action fraud will get that done for you!

Let us know how things pan out!
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the exact same text again within the last two days.

That implies to me it's completely a fishing scam, none of the supposed £4,50 weekly texts appeared since the first message, but I will be examining my bill shortly and complaining very strongly to o2 if charges do appear since my initial complaint here.

Message 10 of 11