cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g to 3g

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to cancel my 4G tariff because i get barely any use out of it as i dont live near a city and its very expensive! How do I cancel the 4G part of my O2 plan and just switch to 3G???

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's unlikely that O2 (or any other network) will offer a just 3g tariff either now or in the near future. 4g will become the norm just in the same way that 3g is now.
All 3g tariffs are been changed to 4g tariffs free of charge anyway so I doubt you'd see any gain.
Any data allowance can be used on 3g too so you are not losing out anything.
Out of interest what tariff and price plan are you on now?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Forum.

You can turn off 4G in your phones settings if you wish.

Have a look in your My02 to see what's available for you to choose regarding your tariff or ring Customer Service on 202 to discuss your options.

Take into account 4G is on its way across the county ref Network Future http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing ,and if you do commute into a 4G area ,you will then switch to the 4G service and enjoy those speeds.

Have you looked at available Tariff's to the one your on ref 4G and 3G allowances. You may not find that much of a difference in cost as O2 are putting people on 4G for little or no cost ,and improving the actual monthly allowances.

Also take into account you cannot downgrade in price/cost with Tariffs unless your still in the 7 day cooling off period ,and cancel the contract.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's unlikely that O2 (or any other network) will offer a just 3g tariff either now or in the near future. 4g will become the norm just in the same way that 3g is now.
All 3g tariffs are been changed to 4g tariffs free of charge anyway so I doubt you'd see any gain.
Any data allowance can be used on 3g too so you are not losing out anything.
Out of interest what tariff and price plan are you on now?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 6

chrismorris86
Level 3: Thinker
  • 33 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
You are missing the golden point here, why should Alice pay for 4G when she has stated she can't get any use out of it? Why pay for something if you can't use it properly?!
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrismorris86 wrote:
You are missing the golden point here, why should Alice pay for 4G when she has stated she can't get any use out of it? Why pay for something if you can't use it properly?!

Because as MI5 pointed out above, "All 3g tariffs are been changed to 4g tariffs free of charge anyway".

I've just been moved to a 4G tarrif for free this week. I will only use 4G should I venture near a 4G enabled area...which is a good 20 miles away, but I've just ordered a 4G SIM for my phone. Its always good to have it should it become available.

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All tariffs will be 4g as standard soon enough and there are no price benefits for currently having a 3g only tariff.
In fact as you get more data on 4g tariffs (generally speaking) they are better value for money.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6