cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from o2 to o2 via a 3rd party, please help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try and keep this as simple as possible (not my strong point lol). My contract ends on 3rd of july so im in my upgrade window and saw a really good offer on a 3rd party website for o2 network. i love the network and have been with them for yrs, i don't want to leave but the guy i spoke to for o2 couldn't get anywhere near the offer but said if i did take the offer with the 3rd party, then to call them when i get it and they can transfer my account over!! I thought cool but in taking up the new offer i had to fill out new bank and direct debit details and am now worried if this is still possible or am i going to end up with 2 seperate accounts? So basically is it still possible to transfer my account and number over and if so what do i need to do when i get the new handset?? sorry if its so long winded and thanks so much to anyone that can give a little time to Help

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You have taken a new contract now (really you should have done it as an upgrade), so yes, you need to call 202 and SPEAK to CS to
a) Cancel your old account
b) Transfer your number across to the new account.
Make sure you CALL 202 and SPEAK to a CS adviser to do this as live chat will most likely fail and leave you with 2 contracts running.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You have taken a new contract now (really you should have done it as an upgrade), so yes, you need to call 202 and SPEAK to CS to
a) Cancel your old account
b) Transfer your number across to the new account.
Make sure you CALL 202 and SPEAK to a CS adviser to do this as live chat will most likely fail and leave you with 2 contracts running.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

If your newly chosen phone takes a different sized SIM card ,and or your taking up a 4G contract you will need to perform a SwapMySim procedure here http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk ,when you have the new sim and phone.

Speak to O2 Customer Services via 202 to have your account sorted.

They will ensure you keep your original mobile phone number.

Who did you engage to upgrade/open a contract with.

If your within your cooling off period (check their T&C) you could cancel and start again with O2 if a refresh tariff is what you want or with an independent such as CPW who cannot offer refresh deals but can occasionally offer better deals and more choice of handset.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

wow guys, thanks for your superfast responses. The people i initiated this with was mobiles.co.uk and basically chose the option because it comes with a great added gift but not such a great handset but has a really good tariff too nut at the same time is only going to cost me the same as what a tariff with less but better handset would. So i thought i would keep my own handset which i already like and give my partner the one with the deal who needs a better one and is on o2 payg already and then do the account/number transfer the guy on o2 chat said i could do, if this makes sense? i was hoping this would be as simple as telling o2 what the new number is and then replacing it with the current o2 number cancelling out the previous direct debit/tariff and leaving me with the new one lol idk maybe i got my wires crossed. thx so much for your time though guys, i really appreciate that slight_smile

Message 4 of 17

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Your sim card is your account. What phones you use is your choice, so no problem swapping phones around, just make sure you keep your number on the new sim (if required).

Currently using:
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok cool, i think i know what you mean (i feel so stupid) the guy on the live chat thing made it sound so simple Confused thanks so much for the speedy replies best help ive had online anywhere i think slight_smile thank you

Message 6 of 17

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Always happy to help - Come back if you need anymore advice, someone is always around slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually there was just one more thing that has brewed in brain since what you have told thus far lol (i know! im so sorry im a numbnut Bang )  what do i do if the new accounts sim card doesn't fit the phone i currently have? seeing as my current phone is older than the new one! will they still be to replace the new account with my current number? And if so does that mean i will need a new sim sent out to me that fits my handset but with the new sims details lol or am i just over-complicating things? slight_smile  either way i will deffo comeback and update what goes down slight_smile thx again

Message 8 of 17

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You just need to get the correct size sim (online, in store or via CS) and then do a sim swap which will move your new contract to the correct size sim.
Just make sure when you order a sim you get a contract sim, not a PAYG sim (they are different) and use the sim swap form here http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/ or again call CS and they will do it for you.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. @sir_smooth

You're welcome for all the help.

When I first spoke about Sim Swapping earlier in the thread which is what your asking about now I omitted to add.

The Sim Swap can take anything from a few minutes up to approx 24 hours. By turning your phone off and on throughout this period will help the re connection to the network.

You'll know when it's started as the service on your original SIM card will stop and the sim will become de activated.

Take care. slight_smile
Message 10 of 17