Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G or 5G eSim

SteveMcD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. Keeping this simple. My last iPhone had a 5g eSim in it. I got the new iPhone yesterday so had to get a new eSim. I popped into the o2 store. They told me they only had and gave out 4g eSims. I told them my old eSim came in a package that said it was a 5g eSim.

I installed it anyway... My question is .. being virtual - is it not up to your phone capabilities and tariff if you get 5G - or do I need to go to all the hassle of going to another o2 store to get one that actually stocks what says 5G eSim on the packet?

I could have sworn my so called 4G eSim flashed up 5G coverage today at one point as I was driving about ..

Anyone?

thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149084 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions

@SteveMcD 

You could have just put your old sim in the new phone, and yes, you do need a 5g sim.

Go to a different store for some sense.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 5

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7828 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

I doubt that new eSIMs are 4G seeing most phones that take them are now 5G 

Probably be less hastle to try it in a 5G area than find another O2 store 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 5

SteveMcD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. That was my problem.. I had nothing to “pop” anywhere as I said I was on an eSIM 5g so it’s virtual and you can’t yet on o2 transfer those to a new device. My question was the paper pack that esims come in with the qr code is marked up as either 5g like my old one was or 4g like the one the o2 shop just gave me.. does it matter what the paper is marked as since it’s virtual anyway ?

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149084 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions

@SteveMcD 

Yes that's a fair point and it may well work for 5g OK but it seems strange that the sim pack specifically states 4g.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 5