Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G on 5G sim

Lucy8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, I’ve just upgraded and been sent an I phone 12 with 5G sim. There is no 5G in my area so I currently have no network and can’t use my phone away from WiFi. Is there a way I can use the phone on 4G? I have altered the settings in data roaming and selected 4G but my phone still has no network so can’t receive calls / texts and can’t use internet unless on WiFi. Thanks
Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions

@Lucy8 

Use your old sim in the new phone. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions

@Lucy8 

Use your old sim in the new phone. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Lucy8 The 5G sim that was included with your new phone is blank. You can carry on using your old sim, but if you want to avail yourself of O2's 5G service when you're in an area that has 5G, you will need to do a sim swap. You can go to an O2 store and they will do the swap for you, or you can do the swap by following this guide: SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim) - O2 Community

The new 5G sims are backwards compatible, so your phone will still work in your area, even though 5G isn't available there as yet.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 3