Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G and all the myths!

HHGTTG
Level 3: Thinker
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Since changing my tariff to one of the Big Bundles, mainly to get more texts and some minutes, I am now able to get 4G also but apart from initial madness and several bandwidth measurements using a downloaded App (now uninstalled), I seem to be using more of my 500MB monthly allowance than is comfortable.

I don't use the mobile network  much, only daily checks on weather, BBC news and checking email but each time the mobile connection is turned off afterwards. I am also convinced that my battery isn't lasting so long between charges.

I have now gone back to WCDMA(preferred)/GSM and will monitor my usage etc.

Is all this in my imagination? I know from Google searching that much is written about all that I have said here.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Speed tests consume bast amounts of data. Stop doing them (you will anyway once the novelty wears off).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 42

HHGTTG
Level 3: Thinker
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Speed tests consume bast amounts of data. Stop doing them (you will anyway once the novelty wears off).

Hmmm, I only did three tests with 4G and two with WiFi. I'm very hard pushed to get to 300MB in a month but since changing tariffs on the 8th of Dec my data usage is already 202MB of which 50 could be those measurements or perhaps a little bit higher. Anyway the Apps setting allowed for adjustment of data amounts but anyway it has gone now and I'm back to 3G protem. Will switch back next period starting 9th Jan. 3G or 4G isn't really that important to me.

Message 3 of 42

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
I've seen speedtest use 80mb a time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a lot of data but considering it's a speed test app you would expect that to happen 

Message 5 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried to tell countless people what a waste 4G is.....the only benefit is for those who wish to stream Ultra HD on their small non Ultra HD handsets!!

Turning 4G off will vastly improve battery performance, increase signal strength on 2G and 3G, reduce the number of missed/dropped calls and minimise the risk of exceeding data allowance.

Message 6 of 42

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
Not impressed then tongue

Currently using:
Message 7 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've tried to tell countless people what a waste 4G is.....the only benefit is for those who wish to stream Ultra HD on their small non Ultra HD handsets!!

Turning 4G off will vastly improve battery performance, increase signal strength on 2G and 3G, reduce the number of missed/dropped calls and minimise the risk of exceeding data allowance.

You may think it's a waste but other people don't, I've had great experiences with 4G it's fast when I want or nee to use data, I haven't experienced missed or dropped calls, the battery performance is great on 4G but I guess it depends on the phone as well.  

One persons opinion shouldn't allow others to judge before they've even tried it themselves 

Message 8 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only my opinion of 4G.....of course others will find it fantastic......thats the way the world works!!

Message 9 of 42

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I think 4G is great. Better than waiting an age to load things up.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 10 of 42