cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Speed Reduction

Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently upgraded my tarrif from a 1GB data plan to 20GB, due to always hitting my limit, and ending up buying additional data each month, adding 6 quid to my bill on average. Before the change in tarrif, I was getting fantastic speeds for browsing and streaming - it was like being on home broadband - if a webpage took longer than a couple of seconds to load, it was probably because the webserver was down or experiencing problems. It made hitting my limit extremely easy, but I was more than happy with the performance.

The very day that my tarrif upgrade was enabled, the speed dropped drastically. I now cannot view any website without a 5-10 second wait - sometimes longer. Streaming from YouTube is just not worth it - buffering for 5 seconds to play 1 second of video, then buffering again - a torturous, looping experience. The only streaming that does seem to work is Netflix, but only after a long wait, where I assume it is buffering in the background. My friend on Virgin 3G actually loads Netflix programmes faster, and also doesn't buffer during playback.

I have tried to put up with this for a month - thinking it would just rectify itself, and was a coincidental network problem, but I'm struggling to fathom what the issue is now, especially when the change on my account should have literally just been an increase in data limit and a reduction in price (mins/txts stayed the same - unlimited).

The telephone sales person at O2 was adamant that I didn't need a 20GB data plan, and repeatedly said that I should save 3 quid a month by getting a vastly reduced data plan, but I decided to go with the big plan against their advice so I wouldn't have to worry at all about hitting any limits.

I hate to think it, because if it is correct it was never explained to me, but has my bandwidth been artificially reduced due to opting a larger data limit? It's the only logical explanation I can think of, and I can understand why this might be necessary if generally it's the few users with big data plans that are slowing the network, but if this is the case, I'd like to move away from O2, and I hope you will be able to cancel my contract without fees. I believe I'm still within a 90-Day grace period too.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
I'm not sure if O2 will change it after all these years but surely there is little reason for it these days unless the O2 infrastructure can't cope.
Message 11 of 19

MI5
  • 144178 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I'm sure it's all part of the business plan to enable them to offer the 20gb packages.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 19

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I'm sure you're right, it goes back to the days of unlimited data and to be honest  using bypass improves it but you still have a certain amount of compression even then.

Message 13 of 19

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Anonymous@Anonymous

I Have thought more on this and some one mentioned that you cant stream HD on you tube.

Yep your correct, you cant.

O2 Phone tarriffs i think have built in data compression to allow you to use data more and Youtube HD is blocked due to the volume of data used and why would you compress HD when you want to watch it in HD.

Here is a link to an old forum topic, but Customer care did confirm as per one of the updates that o2 do use compression on 3g,4g for pictures and videos.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/4G-compression-is-it-just-me-AWFUL-browsing-experience/td-p/551172

Hopefully this answers your problem.  Probally why i never notices ie on Youtube is that ive become that used to it.

There is an app that you can download to test data speeds over video, websites and pictures etc and I can advise that HD youtube on o2 fails everytime. All the others work fine though

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 14 of 19

MI5
  • 144178 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yeah we know it's heavily compressed but it's always been that way.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Recently moved from a 20gb plan to a 30gb plan and had streaming issues ever since then. Any video higher than 480p is unwatchable due to buffering.

Done a few tests and consistently getting the same results, down speeds of around 16-20mb while video streaming is lucky to hit 1.5mb.

Been the same where ever I've been over last month so im certain its not an issue with masts.
Message 16 of 19

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
@MI5

I am using bypass currently as the login and it solves some network issues for me as well, but I actually don't know why the customer support don't know about this configuration.
Message 17 of 19

MI5
  • 144178 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It's a secret wink

Currently using:
Message 18 of 19

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
@MI5

I do see documentations of this for business users, but never talked about to consumer tariffs. That's interesting.
Message 19 of 19