Did you mean: 

Travel Opt Out Bolt On

anemone
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

this question has been asked before but none of the answers have been useful to me.

What exactly does the Trave Opt Out Bold On do? If I want to avoid costs in Switzerland for example, do I need it? 

Does it mean I am opting out of NOT paying in EU or am I opting out of paying?

What happens if I remove the

bolt on and go to Switzerland? What happens if I HAVE the bolt on and go to Switzerland? I don’t understand the opt out bit at all.

Thank you all for clarifying, I feel like I am having a brain malfunction cause to me, having an opting out bolt-on would mean paying more, but why does it get standadly applied? 

Best wishes

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38570 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1736 Solutions

All covered in here, @anemone 

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

O2 Travel and O2 Travel Inclusive are both (different) bolt-ons.

EU Roaming now comes as Standard, covering EEA/EU countries, in the Europe Zone, including Switzerland (phone in-country and to other UK numbers as you would at home).

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad let's you check.

Hope that helps, @anemone.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

pgn
  • 38570 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1736 Solutions

All covered in here, @anemone 

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

O2 Travel and O2 Travel Inclusive are both (different) bolt-ons.

EU Roaming now comes as Standard, covering EEA/EU countries, in the Europe Zone, including Switzerland (phone in-country and to other UK numbers as you would at home).

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad let's you check.

Hope that helps, @anemone.

Message 2 of 7

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7991 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1653 Solutions

@anemone If you are travelling to Swizerland then make sure you have 4G caring enabled, 3G has closed and 2G is either turned off or in the process.

Without 4G calling you won't be able to make calls

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149629 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@anemone 

Switzerland is NOT covered in EU roaming for PAYG customers. https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

If you opt in to the travel bolt on you get 100mb of data per day for £1.99. If you opt out you pay 4p per mb of data.

You can use the O2 Travel Bolt On, which gives you 100MB of data for £1.99 a day. Calls back to the UK and within Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Monaco, and Switzerland cost 4p a minute and are free to receive. Texts sent to the UK and these five countries cost 1p a text and are free to receive.
Note: Calls to USA/Canada are charged at £1.49/min. Calls to all other destinations outside our Europe Zone charged at £1.99/min.

If you don’t have the O2 Travel Bolt On, you’ll pay our standard rates:

Standard rates

Making calls4p/min
Receiving callsFree
Sending texts1p/text
Using data4p/MB
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 7

pgn
  • 38570 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1736 Solutions

Apologies, @anemone - I missed that you are PAYG, which changes things somewhat, as @MI5 points out.

Please note, as per @Enlli's reply, with removal of 3G and absolutely no 2G in Switzerland, as PAYG from O2 does not get access to 4G Calling features (thanks, O2!), you will be reliant on a data connection in your Travel Bolton allowance (meagre) for any calls, using Whatsapp or the like on both your phone and the phone of the person you are calling.

It's all a bit awkward - have the same here with 3 x PAYG phones going to Germany in August, all get calls included, but with no 3G in Germany and therefore only 4G for calls, not available to PAYG with O2, they will be reliant on Whatsapp for the usual messaging but also for Voice calls when out and about away from any WiFi.

pgn_0-1686554541475.png

It's a real pain that O2 still do not provide 4G Calling to any but their Contract and Business customers tbh.

Areas of Europe which now need 4G Calling:

Cullen-International_Switch-off-2G-3G-update_insert.png

Message 5 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149629 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

In theory, calls should still be able to use 2g where still available.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 7

anemone
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

wow thank you, that explains a lot. thank you! makes me consider going back to EE tbh. very strange indeed

Message 7 of 7