Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG data charges in Spain

babyboomer49
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When in Spain, almost as soon as I connected to the internet (I think the carrier was called Moviestar or similar) I got a message to say that I had used £1 worth of data but I wouldn't be charged any more up to 50 MB. The charge on the O2 website says data is 1p per MB, so 50p for 50 MB and I should not have been charged £1 up front. Also calls should be 3p per minute but I seem to have paid 30p. Is there more than 1 PAYG plan that I need to switch to?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@babyboomer49 wrote:

I am not on a tariff, I have been on PAYG for many years.  According to the O2 Classic PAYG FAQ,

What’s the difference between Big Bundles and Classic Pay As You Go?

With Big Bundles you need to top up each month, and we exchange the credit for your chosen bundle of data, texts and minutes.

With Classic Pay As You Go you top up a minimum of £10 and pay for the minutes, texts and data you use. Calls are 3p a minute, texts are 2p, and data is 1p a MB. Once your credit runs out, just top up again.

So my PAYG SIM is somehow paying much more for calls & data than the O2 website says. The prices advertised are from August 2017 and I haven't topped up since then (very light user!), so I wonder if I topped up now, would the 'new charges' take effect, or do I need a new SIM, post August 2017?

If travelling abroad again you need to think about changing your tariff. You obviously used up all of your credit @babyboomer49

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

You need to change your current tariff to the new classic PAYG to get those rates of 3p,2p,1p

if you can get onto live chat, they could do it for you when abroad or you can do it yourself in your MyO2 or wait until you get home. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 17

babyboomer49
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Back home - but PAYG doesn't have an allowance, as the name says, Pay as you use it, more or less.
Message 13 of 17

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just login to your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 and change your tariff in there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@babyboomer49 wrote:
Back home - but PAYG doesn't have an allowance, as the name says, Pay as you use it, more or less.

Yes I know @babyboomer49 as I said above, you need to change your tariff, as that one isn't suitable for use abroad wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 17

babyboomer49
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - it is so long ago that I had forgotten I had a favourite places tariff. When I looked at the Change Tariff option, it showed the classic PAYG 3p 2p 1p tariff. WIll get the wife's phone changed as well. Thanks again

Message 16 of 17

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No problem and glad you’re sorted.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 17