Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel

koala321
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 28 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, I am on £5 Big Bundle, my phone is a Doro and doesn't have a web browser so isn't using data. I have some questions about using my mobile abroad, as I haven't been abroad with my mobile for a while and am a bit out of date with what happens.

1) If I go abroad to a country outside the Europe zone I am advised to join 02 Travel where I get 100mb for £1.99 a day. What is my allowance for making calls and sending texts outside the Europe Zone with 02 Travel. What calls and texts do I get for my £1.99?

2) Is the £1.99 deducted from my credit every day I am abroad or only when data is accessed by the phone? My phone doesn't use data, so would the £1.99 be deducted when I make a call/send a text? When I switch the phone on when abroad will £1.99 be deducted for the day or only when calls/texts/data is made?

3) In the Europe zone do I still get unlimited calls and texts for £5 a month, and if I am abroad on the Big Bundle renewal date is £5 deducted in the normal way from my phone?

4) In the Europe Zone can I send a picture message to the UK on £5 Big Bundle at the usual UK rate?

5) I have no plans to go abroad just yet but would you advise me joining 02 Travel now so the phone is ready to use abroad if I go suddenly. Or should I wait until I set off before I activate O2 Travel? That way if I go to a country outside the Europe Zone only £1.99 is deducted and no more. I don't want to suddenly go abroad and get a large credit deduction for money I can't get back. But if I already join 02 Travel only £1.99 is deducted?

Please could someone answer my questions the same way I've set them out. 1) 

2) etc.

Thank you 

😀

Message 1 of 30
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

@koala321 If you go to this page.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

Enter a country you are interested in, then choose PAYG it will give you some options

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@koala321 

See guide Guide: Roaming MegaGuide and https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 30

koala321
  • 28 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello @MI5 , I sent a text TRAVEL to 23336, thinking I would get the 02 Travel bolt on, but the text came back saying

"Sorry, you need to be an O2 Consumer Pay Monthly customer to use this service. See o2.co.uk/international for more details."

I'm on Pay as you Go, so what are my options if I use my phone abroad. I understand if I use the phone in the Europe Zone it will be exactly the same as when using my phone in the UK, but if I am in a country outside the Europe Zone, where standard rates are more expensive, what is my best option?

Message 3 of 30

Enlli
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

@koala321 If you go to this page.

Enter a country you are interested in, then choose PAYG it will give you some options

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 30

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@koala321 

Click the link I gave you above and change it to PAYG.

It will give you all options for each country.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 30

koala321
  • 28 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O.k thank you.

From the link you sent me I've discovered the country finder where you type in a country and it shows you the international  call rates when calling the UK which is good. I didn't know about that. But it looks as if I'll just have to pay the standard international rates outside the Europe zone. 

I've also added the O2 Travel Opt Out bolt on that's in My02 to my bolt ons. 

Message 6 of 30

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@koala321 

There are some countries where you can pay the £1.99 daily charge (make sure you have enough credit on your account) but for others there's no option but standard rates.

It all depends on which networks have deals and relationships with each other.

It's a minefield so keep the link for future reference.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 30

Enlli
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

@koala321 Your other problem on PAYG is that many countries have, or are in the process of closing down 3G. 

O2 PAYG cannot make calls using 4G so, as some have found, there could be difficulties in making and receiving calls.

O2 do not seem to know the state of play in these countries, so can't advise you. 

Message 8 of 30

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

However, as 2g is still available almost everywhere, calls can still be made as phones should automatically use what's available.

Just ensure network mode is set to auto and not locked to 4g/5g.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 30

koala321
  • 28 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O.k thank you 😀

@MI5 I've bookmarked the page which shows you the rates for each country. That's very useful and kind of answers my questions. 😀

Message 10 of 30