cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 2760 - why cannot access gmail INBOX?

foocindy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Nokia 2760 flip phone.  If you need more tech specs, please google Nokia 2760 GSM Arena for more specs (thanks for doing this).

I can send email - so I guess I got my pop setting correct.

Settings:

incoming mail (pop) server: pop.gmail.co

requires SSL = yes

port = 995

outgoing mail (smtp) server: smtp.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires TLS: Yes (if available)

Requires Authentication: Yes

Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

Now I set up as above, when I try to connect, I get error message, "user / password error."

So I tried another setting (found via giffgaff discussion) for incoming mail:

Server: m.google.com
Domain: google (If required)
Security: Enabled, SSL, TLS

When I try to connect, I get error message "cannot connect right now, please try later" .. so its connecting (phew!), and when I check the connection status = it reads "off line".  So how to do I get it online?

So for my hotmail email.  for incoming, I originally had server = pop3.live.com. and I receive the message = "cannot connect right now, please try later".  connection status reads = off line.  so I found a giffgaff discussion and it reads change server to read = m.hotmail.com .... yiippee now I am connected.  so what is wrong with gmail?

thanks

cindy

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

You are wasting your time @foocindy. In six month's time, Inbox will no longer exist.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
"Inbox" ending won't stop anyone polling emails to phones or other email clients.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 35

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

The title of this thread indicates to me that the OP wants to use Gmail Inbox. This link https://www.google.com/inbox/ from Google themselves, says that from the end of March 2019, what the OP wants to use will not exist. I see it as a waste of time trying to set something up that will soon be obsolete.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 35

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I read it differently.
"Inbox" is not needed nor is it available for a Nokia 2760 anyway.
Gmail will still be available and accessible regardless of the "Inbox" app closure.
With the correct settings installed, Gmail can be polled to the phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 35

foocindy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello MI5, Thank you.  I tried "imap" - hmmm user/passwod error versus "pop" - it does not error out - error msg reads "cannot connect - try later".  Well, let's call it a day.  Much appreciation.  Bye

Message 15 of 35

foocindy
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank Bambino.  You tried, I tried - let's call it a day.  Thank you all.  Bye.

Message 16 of 35

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

I'm happy to keep trying with you @foocindy if you want to?

Currently using:
Message 17 of 35

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

A solution has been offered, as well as a suggestion to abandon it. The OP has already wasted two days trying to get the phone to work. It's the OP's second phone. I presume they also have a more recent phone that has the Gmail app, which avoids all this rigmarole.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 18 of 35

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35929 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions
Still amazed people pull e-mail to a device using POP, regardless of client (remember Eudora?)... it's a hassle storing the e-mail, surely?

Leave your mail on somebody's server, then you can access it anywhere, often using a Web browser.

And yes, if Inbox goes away, the Gmail Android client probably still can use the same connect strings to achieve the OP's objective.
Message 19 of 35

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I always use imap on mobile devices for that very reason @pgn

Currently using:
Message 20 of 35