Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping o2 pay as you go sim card active

Rob2432
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am after a definite answer on how to keep a PAYG sim card active. I have seen multiple conflicting posts, and also been given false information by o2 customer support Live Chats on how to do this, which a few months ago led to my number being completely disabled without warning at the worst possible time. It also led to me loosing around £12 of credit which in the end I gave up trying to recover as customer support was terrible.

My last contact with o2 was desperately trying to get my number reactived, which it eventually was, but was done so leaving me with 0 credit, so I had to top up again.

My understanding from the phone call is to keep the number active I must make a chargable phone call every 3 months (Texts/Data usage do not count), and I must top up every 6 months. This sim is not often used, and can easily go a year without using all the credit so this is less than ideal. I do not want or need monthly bundles, just regular pay as you go.

Can someone clarify what is needed to keep this sim active so I am not cut off without warning again.

"Your Tariff: Classic Pay As You Go, 3p a minute, 2p a text, 1p a MB of 2G/3G/4G data"

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

The only difference I will say is that disconnections happen much quicker after the six month rule isn't adhered to

The grace period is almost non existant now and customer service are loathe to reconnect obviously to get people off the legacy tariffs

Message 11 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Dave-O2 wrote:

Thanks for waiting @Rob2432

I've had this clarified and the website has now been updated with the correct detail, this can be seen here and below ↘️

If you don’t top up, add a Bolt On or carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any six month period, your O2 Pay As You Go sim card will be disconnected and you’ll lose any remaining credit on your account.

Can this advice be added into @Cleoriff's excellent "How to top-up" Guide, preferably near the top of it somewhere, @Dave-O2?

Also the bit about refunds when leaving O2 as per an earlier thread, when it is checked: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/I-can-t-get-a-refund-for-remaining-balance-after-leaving...

(if @Cleoriff agrees, of course 😉)?

I'm quite happy for relevant changes to be made to the guide @pgn @Dave-O2 

Please do NOT remove the paragraph about the FIRST top up needing to be by voucher though!

(O2 disagrees with this but WE know, via years of experience that this is the case.)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 16

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks @pgn @Cleoriff 

I've now updated the How to Top Up (PAYG) guide 👍

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 13 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 124199 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Dave-O2 wrote:

Thanks @pgn @Cleoriff 

I've now updated the How to Top Up (PAYG) guide 👍

Thanks @Dave-O2. Looks good.

The only thing missing is the info that it was edited/updated on 18/1/2024. (by yourself)

If people see an updated/recent date, they feel more confident using the guide.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 16

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff 

Your suggested amendment has now been made 😊

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits