Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping o2 pay as you go sim card active

Rob2432
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am after a definite answer on how to keep a PAYG sim card active. I have seen multiple conflicting posts, and also been given false information by o2 customer support Live Chats on how to do this, which a few months ago led to my number being completely disabled without warning at the worst possible time. It also led to me loosing around £12 of credit which in the end I gave up trying to recover as customer support was terrible.

My last contact with o2 was desperately trying to get my number reactived, which it eventually was, but was done so leaving me with 0 credit, so I had to top up again.

My understanding from the phone call is to keep the number active I must make a chargable phone call every 3 months (Texts/Data usage do not count), and I must top up every 6 months. This sim is not often used, and can easily go a year without using all the credit so this is less than ideal. I do not want or need monthly bundles, just regular pay as you go.

Can someone clarify what is needed to keep this sim active so I am not cut off without warning again.

"Your Tariff: Classic Pay As You Go, 3p a minute, 2p a text, 1p a MB of 2G/3G/4G data"

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7116 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

I think our Forum Manager @Dave-O2 may have asked for clarification about this, but todate there has been no feedback.

As I have tagged him he may well reply here 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 16

Rob2432
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I understand this not a direct o2 support forum so my best way to find out would be to contact o2 directly, but I was told many years ago a phone call or text every 6 months will keep it active. Yet my number still got disconnected, only to be told something new just a few months ago. I dont think o2 themselves even know at this point..

Now just to avoid getting disconnected and loosing this mobile number im having to top up when I dont need to. I was also warned on the phone next time it gets deactivated they will not be reactivating it.

Message 3 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Rob2432 

O2 are trying every tactic possible to get customers off all of the old legacy tariffs.

They can and will disconnect you on a whim and wait and see if anyone complains.

You should only need a chargeable call once every 6 months, but we know of others who have just been disconnected even bu doing this.

I'd suggest you get your PAC and move to 1pMobile 1pMobile PAYG - 1p a Minute, 1p a Text, 1p a MB

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 16

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks @Enlli 

Yes, this has been flagged and i'm awaiting confirmation on this.

@Rob2432 When i have an update to share i'll be back in touch.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 5 of 16

Rob2432
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Dave-O2 Thanks pray

Message 6 of 16

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks for waiting @Rob2432

I've had this clarified and the website has now been updated with the correct detail, this can be seen here and below ↘️

If you don’t top up, add a Bolt On or carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any six month period, your O2 Pay As You Go sim card will be disconnected and you’ll lose any remaining credit on your account.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 7 of 16

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

@Dave-O2 wrote:

I've had this clarified and the website has now been updated with the correct detail, this can be seen here and below ↘️

If you don’t top up, add a Bolt On or carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any six month period, your O2 Pay As You Go sim card will be disconnected and you’ll lose any remaining credit on your account.

Can this advice be added into @Cleoriff's excellent "How to top-up" Guide, preferably near the top of it somewhere, @Dave-O2?

Also the bit about refunds when leaving O2 as per an earlier thread, when it is checked: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/I-can-t-get-a-refund-for-remaining-balance-after-leaving...

(if @Cleoriff agrees, of course 😉)?

Message 8 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Dave-O2 wrote:

So the same as we have always said.......

Pity customer service didn't understand the rules though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 9 of 16

Rob2432
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the response.

So annoyingly my past situation where O2 disabled my number and took my ~£12 credit was against their conditions.. I still find these details vague. Chargeable activity would mean, texts, calls, data, which is what I was doing in the first place.

At this point I still dont trust these rules/terms, and will likely have to play safe, applying new credit top up unnessesarily every 5-6 months aswell as making sure of a monthly chargable activity.

It is true however that the page here: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go was updated to include "or chargable activity" that it didnt have before.

More info
Before and after changes were made to this terms page.Before and after changes were made to this terms page.

Message 10 of 16