Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free data usage

Sixaparrat
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm on a Text and Web plan with 500Mb a month, which is usually adequate, but O2 recently added 1Gb to encourage me to browse more.
My anniversary date is 24th of each month, and the 1Gb was added on 25th with expiry date of 29th.
So I thought I'd give it a go. I was surprised to find that on the 28th I was notified that I was out of data and would have to either buy a bolt on or go to Web Daily. My phone only showed 500Mb of use, and after ringing O2 they informed me that the free 1GB was still there, although data was now coming off the Bolt on which I'd just purchased, and I'd have to use that first.
Surely it's crazy to have to use a month's worth of data in less than 4 days in order to avail oneself of the "free" data which expires in 4 days.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
That is usually how it works, although I can't find any T&C's for your offer to check.
Might be worth a call to customer services to check http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

Sounds crazy but there's no such thing as "free".

Sounds like some clever marketing con to me.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Sixaparrat
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I received this text this morning "O2: Hello. Your free data allowance has now ended. Any data you use will be charged at your tariff's standard rates..." which seems to imply that I should have been using the "free" data, but I wasn't.
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
That is usually how it works, although I can't find any T&C's for your offer to check.
Might be worth a call to customer services to check http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Sixaparrat
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
TBF the staff on the helpline 4445 were very good and reset the allowance twice, (approx 750Mb) but the free 1GB remained unused. I'm just wondering what was the point of the offer from O2.
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's the way data is used unfortunately. Your basic data is used first, the any bolt on or rolled over data and then the free data (which is a 'virtual' data. meaning it doesn't show anywhere on your account). If you only have a limited time to use it then it's practically pointless. But of course it's free unamused

Message 6 of 6