Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deliver Reports

Ranger002
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Does anyone know if you have to have a Pay Monthly Contract with O2 to receive Delivery Reports when using the SMS Text Messaging Service, or can you receive Delivery Reports when you're on Pay as You Go?

Also does the trick of putting Star Zero Hash Space before a text message you're sending really work? and you would receive a Delivery Report when the recipient of the text reads your text message, and does that trick work for Pay as You Go Customers?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147001 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions

@Ranger002 

Yes *0# works for both PAYG and pay monthly.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37264 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1698 Solutions

Officially, delivery reports for short SMS are not supported on O2's network, @Ranger002 - discussion here shows how the other method you describe can be made to work in your favour, if you can be bothered switching to a different messaging app: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/SMS-Delivery-Reports/m-p/1048656/highlight/true#M127927

As for PAYM vs PAYG, well, I would guess, without talking to CS, that neither supports SMS Delivery Receipt - all you can do is try.

CS on 202 for PAYM, 4445 for PAYG, @Ranger002 - good luck!

Message 2 of 11

MI5
  • 147001 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions

@Ranger002 

Yes *0# works for both PAYG and pay monthly.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 11

Ranger002
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI5 for your Confirmation.

I have been making a fuss about Delivery Reports, thinking that a Delivery Report was a Confirmation that the Recipient had received my Text and read the Text... well I have now found out, it turns out that a Delivery Report only informs the sender that the Text was successfully sent and is in the Recipients Inbox, and Does Not Report that the Recipient has read the Text. 

So I think the Delivery Report Doesn't really have a Practical purpose when using the SMS Messaging Service, unless someone can make a case why Delivery Reports are useful and worth asking for when sending a text.

Message 4 of 11

Ranger002
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your input and advice and tips, it's appreciated. 👍

Message 5 of 11

pgn
  • 37264 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1698 Solutions

I did wonder, @Ranger002 - some messaging apps, like WhatsApp, have a system of 'ticks' to tell you if a message has been sent, received, and read (or opened) by the recipient. Downside is both parties need to be using the app... Works on both PAYG and PAYM, too.

https://faq.whatsapp.com/665923838265756

Message 6 of 11

Ranger002
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks again and thanks for the link.

A friend of mine uses WhatsApp and I did try it out, but to be honest I wasn't too impressed and prefer a standard SMS text.

I may have another go in the future, also I don't trust WhatsApp for being a secure platform, and I really don't like Mark Zuckerberg one bit, and don't want to help him amass more billions.

Message 7 of 11

pgn
  • 37264 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1698 Solutions

WhatsApp (other messaging platforms exist) is at least end-to-end encrypted - SMS texts are not, so bear that in mind: https://thesmsworks.co.uk/blog/is-sms-encrypted/ @Ranger002 👍

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 147001 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions

@Ranger002 

The problem with SMS is that it's such an old platform that the modern technology of confirming that a message has been read cannot be incorporated.

SMS system can only confirm that the message has been received at the recipients message gateway and nothing else.

Message 9 of 11

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7122 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

You can set Google Messages Chat to get Read Reciepts for any messages you send (Both need to be on RCS)

We could really move forward with RCS but apple seem to want to keep inter device messaging in the 1990's 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 10 of 11