Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 WiFi - some dissapointment and confusion

YorkshirePud
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've been an o2 customer for a long time, since i got my first contract phone but up until recently I have never tried to use the "free" wifi. I have usually been content to use whatever hotspots i can use. I don’t use much data in fact i only have 500mb on my tariff and that’s just fine by me.

Recently I tried to sign up to it. Being an o2 customer i thought this would be a relatively simple task. I first had a look in the account section online. I couldn’t see anything that would allow me to subscribe to it so after some looking i found the actual o2 wifi website. Could i sign up there? No.

Next stop then of course was the app but even this is not very efficient. Why do i as a loyal o2 customer have to register myself to get free wifi in exchange for getting spammed? I read the terms and conditions of course, and because of this I have still not signed up. I cannot see why existing o2 customers have to go to such length’s to use it. And even more cheeky that we have to opt in to getting spammed to access it.

Am i missing something? Have i gone past a very obvious option to sign in easily?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You only need to log in to an O2 wifi hotspot, say in McDonalds (not Costa as they are a bit iffy), no need for an app or to sign in anywhere else.
You will get a code text to your phone when you register at the hotspot which you enter on the log in page and away you go.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You only need to log in to an O2 wifi hotspot, say in McDonalds (not Costa as they are a bit iffy), no need for an app or to sign in anywhere else.
You will get a code text to your phone when you register at the hotspot which you enter on the log in page and away you go.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

YorkshirePud
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
That is correct however it means I will also get spammed. As I mentioned I cannot see why as a loyal o2 customer this should be the case.
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It's only O2 spam which you can opt out of in your MyO2 under the "More" tab

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

YorkshirePud
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
interesting, though I do worry about my details being passed on. I'm certain i read that in the Ts&Cs though ill hold my hands up if mistaken. cant actually confirm that as i had to uninstall the app the other day due to lack of space and i have no hotspots near me.

When you refer to MyO2 do you mean the actual website or the app? I cannot see a more tab on either at the moment.
Message 5 of 14

YorkshirePud
  • 26 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Apologise i just managed to find it, was a bit of a roundabout way but found it.
Message 6 of 14

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I'm afraid your number is out there already. O2's database is shared with their trusted partners and whoever they see fit to share with.

Message 7 of 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Trusted, teehee
Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@YorkshirePud wrote:
Apologise i just managed to find it, was a bit of a roundabout way but found it.

Just un-tick everything and you shouldn't be bothered by their spam.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@YorkshirePud wrote:

Yes...they don't make it easy....sometimes it can be worse than circumnavigating the globe slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14