cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card.

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27707 Solutions

Note: please refer to an updated version of this guide in our How-to Guides section, here. Smiley Happy

If you want to use your O2 contract or PAYG phone with a SIM from another network, ie a local SIM when on holiday, you will need to release the network lock.

If you have a monthly contract it is free to get your phone unlocked.

Any phone can be unlocked (with the exception of the iPhone immediately after launch - see website for details of when these can be unlocked).

All you need to do is submit this form https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form taking care to enter the correct details. Pay attention in particular to the security question as this is the most common cause of failure.

PAYG phones need to have been on the network for at least 12 months (iPhone is the exception here again which is anytime subject to the above restriction for new models).

There is a £15 unlocking fee on PAYG and the phone needs to be registered on the O2 network, so, if you have just purchased a phone off eBay for example, insert a PAYG SIM and top up £20. Make a few calls to register the phone and ensure you have at least £15 credit remaining then fill out the form as above https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Business users can also submit the form for a free unlock.

Once the form is submitted it can take upto 28 days to receive the unlock code but it is usually much quicker - Typically within 7 days.

You will receive the code with instructions on how to complete the process with your specific handset, but in general, you insert a non O2 SIM card and enter the code when prompted.

Note: Unlocking the phone does not relieve you of any contractual obligations. You still need to complete your minimum term as agreed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27707 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I have just bought an iPhone 6s as a present but it's locked to o2. If I buy a new sim, top up £20, do a few calls then ask for an unlock , this will definitely work?

Yes of course it will, but you need to get a sim on the classic PAYG tariff or else £10 will be taken for a bundle you don't need.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 81 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried twice now to unlock my previous iPhone via the online form linked in the OP, but both times have had a response saying that I have not passed the security checks.  Pretty sure I know my mother's maiden name, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong?  Note that I have upgraded my handset now, so is the problem that the IMEI of the old handset is not "linked" to my telephone number?  I can't see it being that, as surely unlocking old phones is the most common type of unlatching request?

Message 82 of 93

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27707 Solutions
You need to have the phone you want unlocking registered on the network or else it won't work.
Also double check with an ee sim to make sure it's locked.
Not all are.

Currently using:
Message 83 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was hoping to unlock my device but My O2 and the app both say device details unavailable.  Is there a way to get it to update the device details?  Or an alternative way of unlocking if not?

Thanks

Lee

Message 84 of 93

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27707 Solutions

Just fill out the form in the first post manually, but you must have used the phone on the network first.

Currently using:
Message 85 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need to use the phone on a local SIM over Christmas. I was told the app will generate a return in less than 48 hour so 28 days is obviously a non-starter, even 7 days will mean the phone is useless off WiFi.

Message 86 of 93

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27707 Solutions
No difference in time as it needs a human to process the request either way.
I'm not sure if they will be working on this over Christmas though...

Currently using:
Message 87 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got an almost instant reponse telling me the security details were wrong.  How can that be when I put the tariff and bill details from my bill today on it?

Message 88 of 93

MI5
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27707 Solutions
Security word isn't your password to log in. It's the one set as your contact password.
You can find it in your MyO2 under manage my details.

Currently using:
Message 89 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phoned then and they were very helpful.  7 days for non-iPhones and they don't work weekends.  It's submitted and I can swap out as soon as I get notification next week. The lady I spoke to is working Monday but doesn't know if the unlock team will be in, fingers crossed.

Thanks for your advice.

Message 90 of 93