cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card.

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

Note: please refer to an updated version of this guide in our How-to Guides section, here. Smiley Happy

If you want to use your O2 contract or PAYG phone with a SIM from another network, ie a local SIM when on holiday, you will need to release the network lock.

If you have a monthly contract it is free to get your phone unlocked.

Any phone can be unlocked (with the exception of the iPhone immediately after launch - see website for details of when these can be unlocked).

All you need to do is submit this form https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form taking care to enter the correct details. Pay attention in particular to the security question as this is the most common cause of failure.

PAYG phones need to have been on the network for at least 12 months (iPhone is the exception here again which is anytime subject to the above restriction for new models).

There is a £15 unlocking fee on PAYG and the phone needs to be registered on the O2 network, so, if you have just purchased a phone off eBay for example, insert a PAYG SIM and top up £20. Make a few calls to register the phone and ensure you have at least £15 credit remaining then fill out the form as above https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Business users can also submit the form for a free unlock.

Once the form is submitted it can take upto 28 days to receive the unlock code but it is usually much quicker - Typically within 7 days.

You will receive the code with instructions on how to complete the process with your specific handset, but in general, you insert a non O2 SIM card and enter the code when prompted.

Note: Unlocking the phone does not relieve you of any contractual obligations. You still need to complete your minimum term as agreed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Fantastic guide MI5. Once I do some re-designs of the navigation bar on the main page. I'll put this in there slight_smile

Nice one
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 2 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to unlock my Iphone 5 at the end of my current contract, if I request the unlocking before the end of my 2 year, pay monthly contract I understand that I can use a new Sim but will have to pay the rest of the o2 contract -  but my question is, will the o2 sim and contract calls, texts and data still work on the phone until the contract runs out ?

Thanks

Message 3 of 93

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Yes it will. Unlocking the phone will still allow you to use your contract sim.

Message 4 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

Done guys,,,as you said,,,few days with my old O2 sim card after sending the online form, they could unlock it and now its running with the new company.....thank you all so much

Message 5 of 93

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It gets complicated.

The phone was originally on pay monthly.  It was transferred to pay as you go with O2 so has a different number to its original number.  From my presepctive the phone has been paid off and then some so I do not see why I should pay another £15 for an unlock code; quite frankly.  I did top up the payg with £10 though.

I have filled out the form again online but this time through my PC and it worked, but the reliability of the web-site is poor, to say the least, and it took me several goes.  I have filled out the form about 10 times now and the website only let me send it once.  Not good really!

The link you sent was the one I was using, but thanks for the support.

Regards

Message 7 of 93

MI5
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

Fingers crossed for you @Anonymous 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suspect your request won't be fulfilled if there isn't £15 credit on it
Message 9 of 93

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried unlocking my new Sony Xperia Z3 but can't - apparently there is a now a policy in place that new phones cannot be unlocked in the first month.  However, nobody at O2 seems aware of this - customer service wasted a week taling me through the procedure and re-entering the non-working code multiple times.

Message 10 of 93