cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM WARNING

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, please be aware that I have just received this email. It is not from O2 when you click the link it takes you to the O2 page via a proxy server that records your key strokes.

This e-mail was sent to xxxxx by O2.

Hello mr **** ****,
Your O2 account requires your immediate attention.
We can see that you've recently paid your monthly bill and we request that your information is validated before we can finalize your balance.

Please confirm that the information displayed below is correct:

Name: mr **** ****
Date of Birth: **/**/**
Mobile Number: 07715******
Current Plan: Pay Monthly mobile

You must now click here HERE to verify your O2 account.
Please note, if you fail to validate your account with us your services may be suspended.
Regards
The O2 Team

Sorry, but we can't write back to you from this address, so please do not reply.

This email is sent from Telefonica UK Limited
Registered office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX
Registered number: 1743099

****PLEASE DONT GET CAUGHT OUT****

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys, I have received the below info regarding this issue and wanted to share it for your piece of mind. I will close off this discussion now, but feel free to PM me about the issue if you're having any more communication of this kind:

We’ve completed the investigation after reports from some customers about a new phishing scam. This attempt was triggered by a malware.  

To explain a little further, if a computer/laptop is compromised, the scammers can put on key loggers and other malware, this can be done when visiting legitimate compromised web sites, clicking on phishing e-mails or using unsecured wireless networks. They can capture keystrokes and screenshots of any systems that a user logs onto.  This information is then used by the scammers in targeted phishing emails and texts to make the user think they are genuinely sent from the originator because it appears to contain accurate information to the user.

To conclude, no personal data that may have been used within this phishing scam originated from O2.

We have a page on our website where customers can find out more about phishing emails, how to spot them and what they can do if they receive one that claims to be from us: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/phishing#qs You can also check out our blog that showcase an example phishing email attempt: http://news.o2.co.uk/2014/05/29/phishing-alert-may-2014/

We take the subject of security very seriously and we’re constantly working hard to help prevent fraudulent activity from happening.  Customers who receive an email they suspect is a phishing scam just need to forward it to phishing@o2.com so we can investigate and shut down these scammers.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 11