cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Ask mini review

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 Ask

O2 Ask is a new service designed to replace the now defunct TU app which allowed customers with little or no signal to be able to call or text over their WiFi connection with their allowances. You can download it via your phones App Store. 

Overall Look

It looks very smart & looks the same as all the O2 apps. I like the new style of menus in this app compared to the myo2 one. Much clearer & easier to view especially data allowance. Although when you click on something it can take a while to load as it’s very slow. The menus look nice & simple. 

SMS function 

I primarily tested this app to see if the sms would work over WiFi considering I already have an excellent o2 signal in my area but some areas I frequent may occasionally need WiFi Calling so this was a welcome add. The function does take a little bit of working out but make sure your contacts that you want to text have the same app downloaded on their phone otherwise you can send but you won’t receive their replies. 

My Thoughts

Its a nice app but I think I’ll stick to good old myo2 for my account & WhatsApp for sending messages over WiFi

Message 1 of 91
90 REPLIES 90

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Well it was worth a try @Glory1.
While I can see why different types of account need different things, something could be useful to all users should be accessible to all.
How to get this to work with PAYG, I am not sure but that is something for o2 to work out.
I agree with both of you that o2 have mis-handled this, and done themselves a large dis-service with not shouting about it from the roof tops.
Again as to why the announcement was pulled I do not know other than what I have already said above. At a guess there is something going on internally that needs resolution, but why put the app in the public domain if you cannot announce it on your own forums?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 41 of 91

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

And meanwhile we just meander on down the yellow brick road aimlessly wondering.....

1) Is THIS the Replacement for Tu?

2) What else it does?

3) How it works specifically (with no guesswork)?

4) Why it can't be revealed on here?

5) Who the hell is Aura?

6) Why, if Aura doesn't work are we being referred to live chat? (never the best option for any type of help)

Many more questions but I wont discuss it further, as so far it's all damn guesswork!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 42 of 91

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I agree @gmarkj different types of account need different things. But as you say "but something useful to all users should be accessible to all". That's my complaint. Quite apart from the absolutely abysmal way O2 has mishandled the launch of this app they are excluding quite a lot of their customers from its use as well.

At least MyO2 was updated recently. MyO2Business hasn't even been looked at and not likely to be. So clearly O2 doesn't care much for its business customers who pay their bills just like personal account customers.

And before somone else says it, yes I could change to a personal account. But why should I change an account I've been happy with for over 5 years just to have access to an app?
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 43 of 91

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 44 of 91

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Not on PAYG, business, mobile BB or any accounts with more than one number on it, but the original announcement said "for now" implying that other platforms would be added later.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 45 of 91

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I thought you were on PAYG @Anonymous, have you now taken out a contract?

Message 46 of 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie I have been on Refresh for the past year or so but was pay as you go before that 

Message 47 of 91

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Jonsie wrote:

I think these are the questions that we should all be asking, not just one or two of us. In fact every customer should be asking too.

Hear, hear, @jonsie !

BTW, I see a (currently!) zero-value bolt-on added to my account now I have downloaded and initialised Ask from the Google Play store... Perhaps soin to be a chargeable item, I ask you... fearful

Screenshot_20180304-152230_01.jpg

Message 48 of 91

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@pgnwrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I think these are the questions that we should all be asking, not just one or two of us. In fact every customer should be asking too.

Hear, hear, @jonsie !

BTW, I see a (currently!) zero-value bolt-on added to my account now I have downloaded and initialised Ask from the Google Play store... Perhaps soin to be a chargeable item, I ask you... fearful

Screenshot_20180304-152230_01.jpg

If they are going to charge for it, which may explain the complete lack of information, I for one will be removing it as soon as possible if that is part of the big announcement.

Message 49 of 91

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

And meanwhile we just meander on down the yellow brick road aimlessly wondering.....

5) Who the hell is Aura?

6) Why, if Aura doesn't work are we being referred to live chat? (never the best option for any type of help)

Many more questions but I wont discuss it further, as so far it's all damn guesswork!!

Oh, yes - somewhere in my reading of matters related to O2 Ask this afternoon, @Cleoriff, I saw it recommended you use O2 Ask (Aura?) as your Webchat client, as "a record of your discussion will be kept in the app"... now that's one thing I thought was missing from the website here, the fact that your carefully-recorded interaction with O2 was gone (from the customer's perspective!) if you did not remember to e-mail a transcript to yourself before closing the Chat window... (or before it crashed and closed itself!).

So maybe, just maybe, the recording of your Chat sessions with O2 Support will be kept accessible and on-line, where they always should have been given O2 kept a copy anyway - in addition to the one you might, or might not, have remembered to e-mail to yourself at the end of any such interaction.

Now I wonder what I can try to chat to O2 Support about to see if it works... devil

Message 50 of 91