Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear M1 Nighthawk port forwarding

DaveAtMoor
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've used the netgear web admin interface to switch on port forwarding for a port used for my home alarm system. However, I have used a port checker and the port remains closed and the alarm system is not communicating with its external service. Does anyone know if O2 block port forwarding for the Netgear M1 hotspot?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@DaveAtMoor 

O2 will deny it but we know from past experience that O2 do block certain ports.

I think it may also depend on what type of sim you use.

For any device that needs external power, you must use a data only sim.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@DaveAtMoor

What port are you trying to forward on the router.?

The problem with Port Forwarding on Mobile Routers is that o2 will use GCNAT and as such Port Forwarding is not going to work

Best way to check is Log into the m1 and note the WAN IP address that it is reporting. Then go to whatsmyip.org in a web browser using the router connection compare the 2 IP addresses if they aren't the same then your dealing with CGNAT (Carrier Grade NAT). 

The best way round this is use a VPN service.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@DaveAtMoor 

Have you tried using a vpn?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

DaveAtMoor
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am trying to open port 50001.

I haven't tried using a VPN. Not sure how I would go about doing this. Can you suggest a good VPN?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I use Cisco but I guess you'd be wanting a free one?
Some anti virus programmes come with a vpn option, Norton for example.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

DaveAtMoor
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm a bit lost with this. Excuse my ignorance.

I'm not sure a VPN would work for me. The device I want to give outside access to is a house alarm system; I wouldn't be able to install a VPN on it. Neither would I be able to install a VPN on my NetGear Hotspot.

Could I use a VPN service?

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-cli...

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8