cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login as username (email) could divert messages from closed O2 email accounts

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to know if the "login as username" facility could be used to divert emails from defunct O2 email accounts. :robotfrustrated:

I have asked a business to reset a password but I can't retrieve their message as they are trying to send it to my O2 email address, which has been shut down. I also couldn't change the email address to send the password reset message to as I have another account with the same business which already uses my preferred email address.

Therefore, I am asking if you could route my <...@o2.co.uk> email account to my <...@gmail.com> login address, please. The email address used for the "login as username" facility doesn't seem to be used for any purpose other than logging in, so confirming that it is valid seems quite pointless as this doesn't link the address to any O2 services.

To me this seems fair as I am guessing that O2 staff retain their <...@o2.co.uk> email addresses while the other (former) O2 email users lose out. To retain usernames on the <...@o2.co.uk> mail server purely for the purposes of forwarding emails should in theory not be too difficult as it has been done by many other businesses, usually after a change of company name. This would mean that the O2 email interface for the general public could remain shut down while the affected users would still be able to receive emails that, for one reason or another, it was impossible to divert prior to the closure of their O2 email accounts last month.

What do you think of this idea? Cat Indifferent

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

This service is now closed except for O2 Broadband customers, so yours will keep working until April 2014.

So you have plenty of time to advise your contacts of a new address.

Partly answered in your other thread.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I'll hopefully have my website logins and contact list sorted before the end of the week and April is plenty of time to mop up the dregs.

But as per other post the Secondary BB accounts have the bum deal.  
The other half has less than 5 days to reset her website logins etc.

Hence switch to own domain and zoho account.  
Now in charge of own destiny for e-mail.

Message 12 of 12