cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europe Roaming and O2 Travel mini Guide

Anonymous
Not applicable

After many threads being posted, either wanting more information or issues caused by not knowing the correct information before travelling, and ending up with huge bills, I though this little guide may be useful.

O2 Travel

Countries included

• Austria
  • Belgium, Bulgaria
  • Croatia, Cyprus (excluding Northern Cyprus), Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland, France
  • Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey
  • Hungary
  • Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy (including Vatican City State)
  • Jersey
  • Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
  • Malta, Monaco
  • Netherlands, Norway
  • Poland, Portugal
  • Romania

Opt in or out of O2 Travel

Opt In                                                               

Contract   Text 'TRAVEL' to 23336

Call Customer Services                            

Pay & Go       Call 2202

Text 'TRAVELON' to 21300

Call Customer Services     

Opt out

Contract Text 'NOTRAVEL' to 23336

Call Customer Services    

Pay&go

Call 2202

Text 'TRAVELOFF' to 21300

Call Customer Services

Arriving in Europe - SMS Message

When the you first arrive in a European country you will receive the following message:

Pay Monthly

O2: Keep your phone on in Europe. Use apps, check maps and upload snaps all for £1.99 a day. Plus, make and take calls for 50p, then nothing extra for the first hour. (After that it’ll cost normal UK rates.) Send texts for 7p each and get them for free. Prices include VAT. Want to know more? Call freephone 2266.

Pay & Go

O2: Keep your phone on in Europe. Use apps, check maps and upload snaps all for £1.99 a day. Plus, make calls to the UK/EU for 28ppm and take calls for 7ppm. Sending texts cost 8p each and get them for free. Prices include VAT. Want to know more? http://go.o2.co.uk/o2tr

Calls while Abroad - Pay Monthly only

Pay and Go customers do not receive any call benefits with O2 Travel

There will be a connection charge of 50p for calls made and received, you can then talk up to 60 minutes. After 60 minutes, standard out of bundle rates will apply.

Data while Abroad

Pay & Go

You will have a daily usage allowance of 50MB If you reach this, you can simply reset the daily allowance for £1.99 by texting MORETRAVEL to 21300. BlackBerry data services are NOT included in the 50MB quota

Pay Monthly

There is no upper data usage limit but we will slow the service down if you use too much data in a day. The vast majority of people won’t experience any restriction but a very small number of heavy users (around 2%) will find that video and audio streaming services like BBC iPlayer, YouTube or Spotify will be restricted at some point.If you don’t want to be restricted then opt-out of O2 Travel onto to the EU regulated rates (19.6p/MB).

European roaming rates (without O2 travel/with O2 travel)

O2 Travel Pay Monthly

O2 Travel Pay & Go

Pay Monthly & Pay & Go

Standard European roaming rate incl. VAT / Ex VAT

Calls Made

50p connection charge.

Calls over 60 mins will be charged 35p per minute from the 60th minute. This is charged in per second increments.

As standard roaming rate

18p per min

15.6p per min

Calls Received

50p connection charge.

Calls over 60 mins will be charged 35p per minute from the 60th minute. This is charged in per second increments.

As standard roaming rate

4.8p (PM)

4p (P&G) per min

4.1p per min

SMS

As standard roaming rate

As standard roaming rate

5p per message

4.9p per message

Mobile Data

£1.99 per day - unlimited

Heavy users will encounter slowed speeds (fair usage up to 50MB)

Only charged for the days you use data in Europe

£1.99 per day and you get up to 50MB a day to use.

Only charged for the days you use data in Europe

19.6p per MB

16.5p per MB

MMS

25p per message

Voicemail

To retrieve a message
It will cost the same as a call back to the UK, there’s a connection charge of 50p, then it’s free to listen for up to 60 minutes. After that, standard roaming rates apply.

To receive a message
If an unanswered call is picked up by your voicemail there is no charge for the message left.

Texts / MMS

Text and MMS received when in Europe will be free.

Opted out of O2 Travel

If a you opt out of O2 Travel, you will be charged Standard Data Roaming Rates.

If a you are travelling outside of Europe you will be charged the standard Data roaming rates for that country

O2 Travel app

With the free O2 Travel app you can:

• Request to be signed up for O2 Travel
  • View your data usage while roaming
  • Discover local attractions and read other traveller’s reviews
  • Download maps to use offline
  • Explore what’s around you

My Tariff (O2 Travel Sign Up / Data Usage)

Select 'My Tariff' then you will have the option to sign up for O2 Travel, by agreeing to the terms and conditions and selecting 'Sign Up'. This will open up a text message for you to select 'Send'. O2 Business customer's cannot sign up to O2 Travel via the App.

Once the you have signed up to O2 Travel, you can select 'Already Signed Up'. You will now see the Data Usage screen. Data Usage will only work while roaming.

Travel Packs

This is where you can download maps and the Tripadvisor CityGuides app.

Downloading Travel Packs (incl maps) / Tripadvisor CityGuide

You search for the map required, e.g. 'London' and selects required item. Before downloading a map you will be notified of how much memory a map will use, for example a map of London will be 358MB, Amsterdam is 143MB. You will also be offered the chance to download the 'TripAdvisor City Guide' app - this will direct you to the relevant App store for their device (free App).

* * You should download maps before roaming due to their size, if using 3G/4G to download will go against your data allowance. * * * * TripAdvisor City Guides - data connection required to download city guides * *

Viewing / Deleting / Refresing Travel Pack

Once you have downloaded a travel pack you will be able to view hotels, restaurants, attractions and the map for this location. This is all done offline.To refresh, or delete a travel pack you will need to select the spanner icon next to the downloaded travel pack.

Near Me

This is where you will be taken to a map of their current location. From here you can view local hotels, restaurants, attractions and again get Tripadvisor reviews.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Correct @Cleoriff Everything below R is missing....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm off to Berlin in July so this will come in handy slight_smile

One thing I will miss with my old network is the ability to use the phone abroad at no extra cost..... came in really handy for my trip to Australia earlier in the year!

Message 32 of 44

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I still use a Three PAYG sim and Tugo on the same phone so costs me nothing either in Three's feel at home countries.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 33 of 44

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

On contract you can use TuGo over wifi. Calls and texts back to the UK come from your allowances.

Message 34 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent @Anonymous however, I'm afraid you'll have to update this a bit with the new rates and new O2 Travel bundle coming 7th April 2016 - please. New mines in the minefield!! The travel bundle joins texts, calls and data, so those who only make a few calls or texts will pay more if they don't opt out. BUT if you opt out and DO use data you will really pay through the nose!

Message 35 of 44

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There is an updated thread floated at the top of the pay monthly/PAYG board.

Currently using:
Message 36 of 44

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I think this thread is now defunct and needs replacing with a new guide once we have answers to all the questions being asked.

Message 37 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have never used the guide anyway. The one produced by @MI5 covered everything anyone needed to know.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was using Vodafone for two years. I am travelling  a lot, I am in Europe every week. I can't use the TRAVEL service of O2 as it is too slow. once I check a few e-mails and Facebook or Linkedin, internet is getting patheticaly slow. So frustrating, I stopped using the service as it is useless. Wifi is OK for the moment but I;m not sure I will renew my contract once expired. 

Message 39 of 44

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Many customers have found data on O2 when roaming very slow. A bit hit but more miss unfortunately. 

Message 40 of 44